Re: Amp volume and tone/how do you keep it consistent from room to room?

NickelWound wrote:

This is a topic that has baffled (no pun intended) me for a long time. I have heard on other forums that the baffles in front of the amps simply don't work for them.... but they work for Joe.

All the suggestions listed here are cool but in essence don't answer the fundamental question, how does Joe use 100 watt heads (or even the 50 watt heads) and not come across as too loud. So I got to thinking. Does he perhaps use lower wattage speakers so he gets great break up at lower volumes? Are there any photos of his amp controls so we can see what they're set at? Are his baffles plexiglass or are they made of some other material? Are his amps flat on the floor?

I have nearly had my head taken off by a deluxe reverb in a smaller venue yet I grew up standing in front of full stack Marshalls 'all the way up' so I am accustomed to volume. So how does Joe do it? Are there any articles where he talks about how he controls the output so as not to take anybody's head off? If anybody here ever saw SRV he would burn off your eyebrows he was so loud. Yet never any complaints about Joe.

Perhaps the master himself will weigh in on this one? I for one would love to know how to get my amp above 3 in a smaller venue, let alone get it into break up territory. The only way I can think of is to swap out the speaker for a lower wattage and get my break up at 3.

It is well documented that Joe makes no apologies for playing loud. There is no mystery to what Joe does. He can get away with cranking it in most every venue he plays. They are large, and he has a full, powerful band behind him to balance it out. SRV was a 3pc. band with a different style all together.

I use a shield, and run my jubilee at almost 7 on the volume in the 120 seat clubs we play in. Remember, 100w isn't twice as loud as 50 in the amp world.

I do know that JBs's cabs sport EV12L speakers...very efficient, loud speakers. Also heavy and bombproof.

I was at Borderline right in front of Joe. It was loud, but not hair blown back loud.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

NickelWound wrote:

Like I said this topic really intrigues me so I did a little retrospective of many of Joe's DVD's and found a few commonalities that must be related to volume control either in large venues or small. First, and I'm not positive but pretty sure, but it looks like his amps are never on the floor but on some kind of sub-floor. Second, the baffles are always just above the tops of the speaker cabinets and third they (the baffles) are almost always set up differently. Either straight across or in a kind of "W" formation and wrap either slightly or quite a bit around the sides of the amps. At the Borderline the amps have mics which might have helped tone and volume while not killing those standing in the front row by running some of his sound through the PA of that small club. I'm not saying Joe isn't loud. But the Borderline audience is about seven to ten feet from the front of his amps so Joe sure as hell is doing something to control the volume.

The "sub floor" as you call it are the GRAMMAS, and have zero to do with volume. They are to isolate the cab from the floor to make sure there is no vibration.

The cabs are always coming through the mains (mic'd).

It's possible he didn't have the amps domed at the borderline, but again, I run my 50w on about 7 with the shield, and our crowd is about 20 ft away at the front tables.

NickelWound wrote:
jbyrd1 wrote:

The "sub floor" as you call it are the GRAMMAS, and have zero to do with volume. They are to isolate the cab from the floor to make sure there is no vibration.

The cabs are always coming through the mains (mic'd).

It's possible he didn't have the amps domed at the borderline, but again, I run my 50w on about 7 with the shield, and our crowd is about 20 ft away at the front tables.

Thanks for continuing to point out my errors. GRAMMAS not "sub floor". Now that my ignorance is blatant, I am still interested in finding out how Joe does with 100+ watts what most of us cannot do with 30, or even 22. I realize you are speaking of your methods and that's all good, but Joe pushes a lot of wattage and hurts nobody. As already stated, I have nearly had my faced burned off by a twenty two watt amp. I am simply both interested and intrigued in finding out how Joe does it.

rickb wrote:

I was at Borderline right in front of Joe. It was loud, but not hair blown back loud.

I'm guessing it was a deluxe reverb?
I know that amp really well because is the amp I gig with the most. I think it makes a very good clean base for pedals.
But yah, its loud! On bars and other small events people never let me go past 4 on that amp, and that's already pushing...
It's a shame because I think the best tone on the DR is between 5 and 6.

24 (edited by ruger9 2014-09-15 06:19:51)

So, now I wonder....

Would this even be applicable to a small club/crowed stage?   Where most of *US* would play, we're usually talking a crowded bar or small club....  not to mention gigs where PA is only carrying vocals and acoustics....  which (for example) is what most of the gigs in Nashville, TN are.... up and down Broadway on Honky Tonk Row.....  no guitar amps are being miked, just vocals, PA, fiddles, stand-up bass (regular bass sometimes uses an amp).... but drums and guitars are live.  And the mix is usually really good.....

JD Simo with the Don Kelley Band, Nashville, TN- Deluxe Reverb, no mics here!  (he does use a fuzz pedal on THIS particular song BUT- JD is a no-pedals guy; youtube him....  no pedals on anything except "Ghost Riders" and I think "Ramblin' Man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylob6Wg_foM

Hi,
i was watching an old movie the other night, and i have found the right answer to your question...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5H8YzfARE

...let the car be a metaphor of the club your're gonna play in...and rock on!!!

Sorry, i only play in studio or in  open venues, i don't have these kind of problems of volume and i have no answers for you! But i hope to have make you laugh! smile

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

NickelWound wrote:

I remembered I had seen these articles from Tonequest on another forum so thought I's post them here. I hope I don't get stern letter from Tonequest. In any event I think they might help answer the question.

First Article

TONEQUEST: We first discovered Bonamassa when he opened for Peter Frampton in Atlanta last year at the Variety
Playhouse. Arriving mid-way though his opening set, Delta Moon guitarist Mark Johnson and I stood transfixed and humbled as Joe tore through a mix of hook-laden rockers and incredibly emotional, bluesy shuffles. We heard shades of Beck at his best and Hendrix, too, while we both surveyed the stage to see what he was using to get that unbelievably clean and saturated tone… It's hard to mistake a couple of Marshall Silver Jubilee heads, even from 50 rows back. As we shot pictures that night for our upcoming Peter Frampton interview, we vowed to track Joe down, which happened in Nashville at Third and Lindsley - a small 'showcase' venue that might seat 100 souls, versus the Variety, which holds 900.

When we arrived in Nashville we were shocked to see that Joe had the identical rig that he had used in Atlanta - a couple of 100W Marshall Silver Jubilees, another 100W reissue Marshall MKII head, and a blackface Fender Showman head with two 4x12 Marshall cabs. Uh, uh… Joe's a blaster, but imagine our surprise when we were able to order a beer without yelling at the dixie chicks slinging the suds while the band played at full tilt. And no, he did not turn down… Joe Bonamassa has indeed invested a big chunk of his relatively short life learning to play the guitar and sing with a passion and fire rarely achieved in a lifetime, yet he has also devoted a great deal of intelligent thought to getting his tone just the way he wants it, every night, regardless of whether he's playing a dump in Columbus, Ohio or an outdoor shed with a capacity of 15,000. Same rig, same mind-altering clean and dirty tone, every night.

Second Article

TONEQUEST: I wonder if you realize just what you've accomplished? The single biggest rub with guitarists seems to remain the entire volume/power, distortion/clean headroom thing. Their big amp is too loud for the venue and they can't get it cooking, their smaller amp doesn't have enough headroom, and the only way they can get both is by using a pedal… But you've cracked the code as far as your shows are concerned, and we've seen you play a corner bar and a big theater with the same rig…

JOE BONAMASSA: It's that baffle, and the baffle is the cheapest part of the whole setup. Even the case that it sits on costs more than the baffle, and it saves me every time. If we're playing the Majestic Theater that holds 2,000 people, it can be even worse than a small club, because those theaters were designed for people to sing and play with no amplification, and the amps really throw in them. When I do a sound check, I will play my guitar from the first couple of rows. If I can sit there and play, have a conversation with myself, and it still feels punchy and warm, we're done. Once the place fills up you won't really hear the stage volume so much. And I will say this about the baffle… a lot of people that use them still have problems. We toured with Indigenous and they had a straight baffle custom built and they were still having problems. With a flat, straight baffle there is still nothing to absorb and deflect the sound - it just goes up and over. The baffle that I use folds up, and I can stagger it so each panel is at right angles to the speakers and it's truly baffling the sound. If I really wanted to get crazy with it I'd get that eggshell foam and put that on the inside of the panels. There are times when I can hear some of the high end coming over the top of the baffle on stage, but knowing how it sounds in front of the stage, I can deal with that. That baffle has just saved me so many times…

Yep...like I said, it's not a huge mystery. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but you are being way too analytical about a very simple thing. First, he plays loud. That is well documented. Second, that's what the baffles are freaking for. Plain and simple. That's why I was trying to help answer your question by relating it to my gigs. I am currently using a custom built 50W Friedman with a 4x12 in a 120 seat club. It would blow your face off if you were at the front few tables. Sooo, I use a baffle. Simple. Easy.

jbyrd1 wrote:

Yep...like I said, it's not a huge mystery. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but you are being way too analytical about a very simple thing. First, he plays loud. That is well documented. Second, that's what the baffles are freaking for. Plain and simple. That's why I was trying to help answer your question by relating it to my gigs. I am currently using a custom built 50W Friedman with a 4x12 in a 120 seat club. It would blow your face off if you were at the front few tables. Sooo, I use a baffle. Simple. Easy.

Is the guitar cab miced into the PA?  Or is it being used "live"?    Alot of places alot of us play only mic things like vocals an acoustics, and drums, bass, guitars... all go live.  Old school.  Like I said, it's still done that way ALOT these days- even in Nashville.   I'm not sure a baffle would work well in that situation? (as opposed to selecting the right wattage/headroom amp for the room, which is what has been recommended by everybody for decades).

I'm not disagreeing with you- I'm just not convinced playing really loud, with a baffle, would work in some of the smaller places alot of people play where the guitar amps aren't miced.   Please describe the different gig situations you deal with, and if the cab is miced or not.

ruger9 wrote:
jbyrd1 wrote:

Is the guitar cab miced into the PA?  Or is it being used "live"?    Alot of places alot of us play only mic things like vocals an acoustics, and drums, bass, guitars... all go live.  Old school.  Like I said, it's still done that way ALOT these days- even in Nashville.   I'm not sure a baffle would work well in that situation? (as opposed to selecting the right wattage/headroom amp for the room, which is what has been recommended by everybody for decades).

I'm not disagreeing with you- I'm just not convinced playing really loud, with a baffle, would work in some of the smaller places alot of people play where the guitar amps aren't miced.   Please describe the different gig situations you deal with, and if the cab is miced or not.

Gotcha. Yes, we do mic the guitar cabs at the club we play most frequently. It's been a long time since I have played anywhere where I haven't. If that were to come up, i have a 2x12 cab, and my Friedman has a feature where when you use the effects loop, you set the master on 5, use the loop volume on the back to control overall volume. It still sounds killer at lower volume. However, I also have an Orange Dual Terror that is a 30/15/7W option amp.

I agree...if you aren't micing, the shields won't work.

Thanks for the clarification.  We're all just trying to figure this thing out!

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, if you don't have a baffle, turn your combo or speaker cab around so it's facing away from the crowd. It's a really simple solution.

Spider wrote:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, if you don't have a baffle, turn your combo or speaker cab around so it's facing away from the crowd. It's a really simple solution.

Unless you have an open back cabinet or combo, and then it makes very little difference.

Hi

I used to gig with an AC30 and really it was not possible to crank it to where it breaks up with out being excessively loud , what I eventually found out is that a lot of amps can sound good at lower volumes
some examples Marshall jubilee, any Dumble clone ,Marshall DSL2000, JCM 800S (SPLIT CHANNEL) and tonnes of others , the main reason for this is the the pre amps are creating the overdrive sound not the out put as in AC30 or Plexis so as J BYRD said earlier probably better to find another amp or use overdrive pedals

"Everybody's entitled to my opinion. wink

AC30's generate a lot of tone from the EL84's being pumbled. Marshall get a good amount of gain from the p.I. A good master volume sounds pretty good with a Marshall circuit, not so good with an AC30. JMHO