Topic: Slash - The 10 records that changed my life.

I just found this on musicradar.com. He talks about 10 albums that he likes. Here's his choices and what he says about them:

1. Aerosmith - Rocks: “This is the album that had the most impact on me as a teenager. It set the trajectory for where I was going to go as a musician. Aerosmith’s style, their groove and their whole sonic attack really appealed to who I was when I was growing up.

“I was maybe 13 at the time, and I was already a music fan. I listened to a lot of stuff, and I definitely knew what I liked. When I heard this record, it had an immediate effect on me. It’s just the seminal record as far as I’m concerned.”

2. AC/DC - Back In Black: “Sometimes it’s all about the right record at the right time. I was an AC/DC fan, and Powerage and Highway To Hell were big records for me. But the one that had the most impact on me, because of the sheer timing of it, was Back In Black.

“It came out during that really crucial time in my life when I was maybe 15 years old. At that age, when something hits you, the feeling is magnified and intensified. At that point, I was going to concerts on a regular basis and I was just so into music, and then along came Back In Black, which just blew me away. A great, great album.”

3. Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick: “I had all the Cheap Trick records up until Dream Police. They’re all great, but the first one is the big one for me. It’s one of the best ‘raw’ rock ‘n’ roll albums ever.

“It’s practically obscure, too – people don’t seem to talk about it that much. But the band did a tour recently where they played the album in its entirety. These things pop up sometimes; I just never know about them because I’m somewhere else.”

4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II: “My parents were in the music business, and they were big rock ‘n’ roll fans – big music fans in general – and so I was exposed to a lot of great music at a very early age. We had Led Zeppelin II, and I can even remember the physical vinyl, the brown cover and the Hindenburg on the front, and of course, there was the Atlantic Records sticker on the disc.

“I loved this album so much. Hearing Whole Lotta Love is what started it for me. It was kind of like Aerosmith's Rocks – it was so sleazy. Even at that tender age of six or seven, I related to it. It had a great groove and guitar sound, which was probably the precursor to my getting a Les Paul later in life. Zeppelin II was the perfect theme music for what was to become hedonistic ‘70s.”

5. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath: “This was another very eventful record for me, Sabbath’s debut album. In my opinion, there is no more ominous rock ‘n’ roll record than this one. I don’t care what band you come up with – Black Sabbath’s first album tops them all.

“On every level, it’s the sound of pure evil.”

6. The Who - Who's Next: “This band made a huge impression on me when I was still living in England. My Dad’s British, and I’ve got two uncles who are big music fans. Between the three of them, I was exposed to all the great British rock ‘n’ roll of the time. I was born in 1965, so from ’67 till about 1970 I heard everything those guys were listening to.

“The Who were my favorite band, and I’m tempted to go with Tommy here, but when I think about it, I have to choose Who’s Next because of how it affected me later on in life as a guitar player.

“It’s brilliant all the way through. Hands down it’s one of the best rock ‘n’ roll records of all time.”

7. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed: “This is a tough one, because the Stones were definitely the background music to my existence for a long time – and still are. My parents were really into the Stones, too.

“There was a particular period when the band put out three records that would have a huge influence on me: Beggar’s Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Those three were my favorites as a kid. Out of that trio of records, I have to go with Let It Bleed, just because of the songs. Again, this is a tough choice – all of those records are great. That was a really amazing period for the Stones.”

8. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced: “Talk about impactful. To this day, I’m in awe when I listen to this record. It’s just flat-out brilliant, and Jimi’s guitar playing is out of this world.

“I love how it’s such a raw, inspired jam record; it has a nice organic flow to it. You can tell that the band members are enjoying themselves and they’re just happy to be in the moment, with no idea of the horrors of the music business they’ll soon be exposed to.

“That pure passion and bright-eyed enthusiasm for being in a recording studio really make this a magical album for me. I know the feeling they must have been experiencing. It’s something you only get once, if you’re lucky.”

9. Cream - Disraeli Gears: “This is the record I was listening to when I chose to play guitar. I thought that I was going to play bass, because Steve Adler, who was my best friend at the time, already had a guitar. He used to crank it up through this little piece of **## amp that he had, and he would turn KISS Alive II all the way up and just bang on this guitar, even though he didn’t know how to play it.

“It was very exciting. We were gonna start a band, and I was gonna play bass, not knowing the first thing about what a bass was or how it worked in the context of a rock band. So I went to a local music school around the corner and sat down with a guitar teacher, and he said, ‘Do you have an instrument?’ I said no, and then we had a conversation. He was trying to figure out who he was dealing with and what it was that I wanted to learn.

“While he was talking to me, he was playing Sunshine Of Your Love, including the solo bit. When I heard that, I was like, “That’s what I wanna do!’ So that’s how I started playing guitar.”

10. Van Halen - Van Halen: “It’s 1978. At that point, I was 13 and hadn’t even picked up the guitar yet. Steven and I were hanging out and he said, ‘Check this out.’ He played me the first Van Halen record, and it really hit me.

“You have to remember, at the time it came out, it was so other-worldly, with so much power and attitude and energy. Obviously, the guitar playing was astonishing. I don’t even know how to describe the impact it had on me as a 13 year old. It was just jaw dropping, not from a technical standpoint, though, but from the sonic point of view – the sheer attack of the sound. It was a very big moment.”

The only album I do not own is the Cheap Trick album. I'm just 29, and this music to me is alot better than today's music!!

Re: Slash - The 10 records that changed my life.

Looks like he did when he was 29 so it's am old piece but cool.
I am older than Slash but a lot of those same albums had an impact on me as well.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

That's a pretty amazing list of albums and I owned a handful of them.  Who's Next was my very first album.  I'd have to say that album along with Live at Leeds were two of the most influential albums on me as a kid.  I'm still a huge Who fan.

xland wrote:

That's a pretty amazing list of albums and I owned a handful of them.  Who's Next was my very first album.  I'd have to say that album along with Live at Leeds were two of the most influential albums on me as a kid.  I'm still a huge Who fan.

Those two Who albums big for me but I still Hold Quadrophenia up as my fav Who album

Your rock candy baby

5 (edited by gary 2014-09-18 23:33:19)

Maybe if we expand the thread to include 10 most influential for us personally.I am going to frame this like Slash and make it be out early music that shaped your music world.
Not in any particular order.
1)Deep Purple Machine Head This is when I got hooked on heavier music.
2)Black Sabbath Black Sabbath.Like Slash love this album.The music is loose and jammy and so so heavy.
3)Led Zep 1 raw and Bluesy
4)Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon
A lot different than the heavy stuff I was into but brought a whole new music style to my ears
5)Montrose Montrose. Straight up the way rock should be.Fun
6)ELP Tarkus my intro to progressive rock
Story may seem a bit silly now but the music is still awsome
7)The Who Who's next.Although I find Quadrophenia my favorite now this album was played till it wore out.
8)Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Live and did  they ever sound better?
9)Deep Purple In Rock. Wow!
10)Santana Santana Such a fusion of all things that can be mixed up and come out rockin.
Well those were off the top if my head .I know I could go on and on.

Your rock candy baby

Great list by Slash! I'm going to add onto Gary's idea...

1) Zeppelin II- Remember hearing the Vinyl when I was young. Reminds me of my dad

2)ACDC Back in Black- Was obsessed with this whole album in middle school.

3) Bob Seger Greatest Hits- Everything about this record reminds me of my childhood

4)Fleetwood Mac The Dance- To this day one of my favorite dvds/cds. Even when I was little I had the biggest crush on Lindsey Buckingham smile

5) Def Leppard Rock of Ages- My girlfriends and I were obsessed with Def Lep in high school!

6)Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged- I remember when my dad brought the dvd home when I was 15 or so and I have loved them ever since

7) Metallica Black album- \m/

8)Rush Moving Pictures- Tom Sawyer..yes!

9)Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon- Everything about this album is perfect

10) Van Halen debut album- To this day one of my favorite albums. My brother used to play Eruption over and over again until he got it perfect on guitar, and I still never got tired of it.

This list took me way longer to come up with than I thought. I could come up with so many more artists that influenced me when I was younger, but these definitely stick out!

Well, writing down this list, i can see how much  i've changed in all these years. Right now there would be Joe, Warren Haynes, John Mayer, Ben Harper and Derek Trucks, BUT the albums that changed my life and made me the man i am today are (in no particular order):

1) Pearl Jam - Ten: It's the first cd i ever bought (with metallica black album) and will always be the best album ever.

2) Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction: how could you not love it???? The day i die i'll ask to be taken down to Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty...

3) Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA: 1984, age 8, and i'm almost sure that in that summer i have played this album every single day over and over again. I've had four copies of this album due to wear! smile

4) Edie Brickell - Shooting Rubberbands at the stars. I love Edie Brickell songwriting. If you ask me for my favorite female artist i will always pick her!

5) Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman: That voice and a guitar.Simple like that. I still like to play this album while driving at night.

6) Depeche Mode - Violator: like the second track of the album says...Sweetest Perfection!!! Never thought i would have ever liked that kind of music.

7) Radiohead- Ok Computer: I will always consider Paranoid Android one of the craziest and beautiful songs of all time. I still can't nail every part on guitar, but it's always a great fun to play it with friends.

8) Sinead O'Connor - I do not want what i haven't got:  Another obsession of my youth. Glad Prince gave her his amazing song...Nothing compares 2 U smile

9) R.E.M. : Automatic for the People: Big brother of a friend was the founder of the Italian REM fan club. If you didn't listen to REM you could not enter in his house!!!

10) Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun: You have to be in the right mood, but you will not find better music than this. Period.

ok, it's really soft list, but i swear i wanted to add Soundarden, Faith No More and Metallica!!! tongue

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

It's just too hard to come up with a definitive "Top 10" list for me.  But that being said, here are a list of (12) albums that have been incredibly influential and important to me in many ways over the years.  In no particular order:

Who's Next - The Who
Live at Leeds - The Who
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Workbook - Bob Mould
Copper Blue - Sugar
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Live Alive- SRV
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
Avalon - Roxy Music
Gish - Smashing Pumpkins
So - Peter Gabriel
The Royal Scam - Steely Dan

And there are many more, and some more recent like Joe's RAH CD, but these albums stuck out to me as ones that either opened the door to listening to music in a different way or were important to me at a particular time in my life. Primarily my Jr. high school through college years.

gary wrote:
xland wrote:

Those two Who albums big for me but I still Hold Quadrophenia up as my fav Who album

I hear ya.  Quadrophenia is definitely in the Top 3 and depending on the day it might rank as my favorite Who album as well.  It's simply a masterpiece.

I'll pick 10 of my favorite blues albums in no order:

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Texas Flood
B.B. King - Live At The Regal
John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - With Eric Clapton
Johnny Winter - The Progressive Blues Experiment
Buddy Guy - Damn Right I've Got The Blues
ZZ Top - Rio Grande Mud
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Jonny Lang - Lie To Me
Robert Cray - Strong Persuader
JOE BONAMASSA - You & Me

Putting this list together has made me see what an early prog music fan I was, and still am! It took some doing producing this list I have to say, and even as I type this I have thought of an album that really needs to be in there. These are albums that over 40 years I have played over and over from a a tiny Dansette record player in my bedroom to the high quality system I have now. Music is my best friend. Always was and always will be..........

1. Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson....
43 minutes of wonder to a 12 year old. I bought it in 1970 and I still talk to the wind....

2. Taste Live at the Isle of Wight - Taste....
the same 12 year was on holiday on the IOW when the festival was on but not  allowed to go. I saw this album in the rack a year later and bought it on a whim as a reminder I couldn't go. Thank you Rory. Lifechanging

3. Moving Waves - Focus
Hocus Pocus. Unbelievable guitar, yodelling? I was intrigued but wanted the 6 minute version which only the album could offer. Amazing Prog. Side 2, Eruption... 23 minutes...just let yourself go.

4. New Age of Atlantic - Various artists Sampler
99p and a doorway to some fantastic artists. Buffalo Springfield, Cactus, Delaney and Bonnie, John Prine. Yes playing a 10 minute version of 'America'............influential beyond words. Those '70's samplers were fantastic value.

5.Fire and Water - Free
I bought an imported company on Polydor (which I still have). This album made me want to be a singer (one day). I am, and I still do 'Oh I wept'. Influential...and how.

6. Yes Album - Yes
More prog. Top the Pops experimented with an album slot on the show in early seventies. 'Yes' were featured one week. Mind blowing. Knocked Cliff Richard into the weeds.......

7. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Concept albums. When they work it is a work of greatness. This did for me. If only we had had the technology of today to present it properly on stage. I saw it from the back of the Empire Pool at Wembley in 1975. Stunning.

8. The Smoker you get - Joe Walsh
I was so impressed to find that Joe had such a feel for melody and songwriting. An album that left me wanting more and regretting that the vinyl format was so limited in terms of the amount of music you got for the money.

9. Live at the Fillmore - Humble Pie
Slash defines Aerosmith's Rocks as a form of ultimate rock album. 'Live at the Fillmore' is the same for me. It has everything, and is LIVE.

10. Nils Lofgren - Nils Lofgren
The beginning of a life long love affair of this man's music. A star before Bruce ever was. A guitarists guitarist. If you have never caught him live. Do it.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

12 (edited by Michael 2014-09-20 14:26:23)

I Love Lists, Slash's one is pretty awesome, we all get affected and drawn into music at an early age and sets out a route through life musically, if you fell in love with the sound of guitar at an early age its inbuilt forever

Maybe this should have its own thread  Your Favorite 10 Albums

AC/DC - LET THERE BE ROCK - The most powerful Rock album ever and supremely produced, its like a Greatest Hits of AC/DC  Whole Lotta Rosie, Let There Be Rock, Bad Boy Boogie, Overdose, Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be, Problem Child.

JOE BONAMASSA - HAD TO CRY TODAY - For me Joe's most complete and varied album, with huge hitters of Reconsider Baby, The River, Travellin South, and Joe's Best Quieter songwriting side Around The Bend, When She Dances. Last album Joe was really raw and cutting loose and an Epic Powerful ending to that part of his career.

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - LIVE IN TOKYO - For me the definitive Stevie Ray Vaughan album, cos it captures Stevie going crazy live and off on guitar tangents like he was in some other dimension, there is an insane Voodoo Chile it is his best performance on stage i believe, it is incredible, and a pure killer Little Wing too, and many more, what a performer that man was.

PINK FLOYD - WISH YOU WERT HERE - This for me one is of the albums i have to listened to more in my life than any other, thats a tell tale sign, why?  because its pure brilliance just 5 songs but eternal in rock history, brilliant production and Dave Gilmour is in Killer form, the whole band after the legendary Dark Side of the moon had a hard act to follow up with, but the clever writing and Epic Songs, Shine on you Crazy Diamond is one if not Pink Floyd's Truly Blueprint tunes.

LED ZEPPELIN - PHYSICAL GRAFFITI - It's hard to pick a fave Led Zep album but this one for me steals the award with Jimmy Page riffing like crazy and Robert Plant scowling so good, with tunes like Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, In My Time of Dying, Trampled Underfoot, The Wanton Song, i just love the huge Zep sound here, its like your getting 2 albums of classics

VAN HALEN - VAN HALEN - Yeah this was a huge impact, with a new never before heard wierd tap on and pull off note bend gone crazy, and crystal clear solos in anthemic rock songs from the west coast of USA, it was a breath of fresh air to Rock, still stands the test of time from '78  Van Halen were to to out do their debut it was that immense

T-REX - TANX - This album has followed me though my life, it has so many sweet lyrical songs penned by Marc Bolan and some lovely harmonised tunes, always reminds me of my teens and there 2 songs on this that would make my top 100 songs easy, Electric Slim and The Factory Hen, Highway Kness   love them both and the extended edition of this album is to die for, with lots of
T-Rex classics from the 73-74 era

BOB DYLAN - DESIRE - This album would never be out my top 10, there are some of the best stories put to song on one album, its is Dylan in my book at his most open ever, with songs like Hurricane, Joey, Black Diamond Bay being one of my fave songs ever, just love the lyrical landscapes he delivers, this is such an underatted album

LYNYRD SKYNYRD - Pronounced - The 1st album by Skynryd is just so awesome its untrue, from Epic tunes to ballads to swampy songs all on their debut, yet again a band that were never to out do their debut it was that strong, with legendary songs like Tuesday's Gone, Simple Man, I Aint The One and Freebird, with the 3 pronged attack of Gary Rossington Allen Collins and Ed King it was pure Southern Rock Heaven, this is one of those Rock Masterpieces

JIMI HENDRIX - MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING - I just love the feel of this album, with many unreleased songs surfacing, Machine Gun, Midnight Lightning, Blue Suede Shoes, Hear My Train a Coming my fave Hendrix song, i played this album hundereds of times, wondered what was going on while i was still at school and friends were listening to Bay City Rollers and David Cassidy lol, i was playing this wall of guitar sound, Jimi just churning up the sound of music, he was a one off

SEX PISTOLS - NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS - This was a turning point in the history of music, pure raw agression in sound and lyrics, now some people at the time thought this was indeed just noise, but if you listen behind the fierceness there is a superbly clean produced album with Rock chords and fast pace energy, listen to Steve Jones Gibson tone its huge, and John Lydons vocals at the time were unintelligible nowaday its the norm, infact this album is crystal clear

these are the albums that have stayed with me

............... Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

I'll take a shot at this. I like reading these lists and thinking that there are so many that made my list. In no order here we go!!

1.Led Zeppelin IV-Hell it could have been 1-3 but Stairway. Black Dog, When The Levee Breaks ect.........
2.ACDC-Back In Black- first album I ever bought!!
3.Bad Company-Bad Co.- I thought this to be the coolest album I ever heard-Rock steady still an all time fave!!
4.Boston-Boston-Probaly where I was living but it was always on the turntable. Too bad they would never come close again!
5.Rush-2112- There was no way 3 guys could be doing this. My first power trio love!!
6.Rolling Stones-Love You Live- STILL my favorite live album of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!
7.Fleetwood Mac-Rumors- It wasn't cool to admit it when I was young but just sooo good!!
8.Pink Floyd-The Wall-Everyone I know owned it. This really needs no explanation.
9.Van Halen-Van Halen-Didn't even realize the guitar could be played like this!!
10.Styx-The Grand Illusion-I know there a like or hate band but they were such a great band in the 70's!!

It was hard to pick the 10 so here are a few honorable mentions-Aerosmith-Toys in the Attic-Sabbath-Paranoid-Steve Miller-Fly Like an Eagle-Eagles-Hotel California.

Dont need a helmet to get me through life-walk across the water blame it on foolish pride.

PORTLAND2012/SPRINGFIELD2012/BOSTON2013/HAMPTON BEACH2014/BANGOR2015/PORTLAND2016/PORTLAND2017