Topic: Serial Number Question

I recently came across a used historic les paul in my price range on reverb.com the thing that makes it interesting is that it seems to be 4 serial numbers away from my historic les paul, the question is my les paul is an R0 and the one on reverb is an R7 they are both from 08 and then the last three digits are within 4 numbers of each other, so even tho it is a different Reissue, does the historic division do serial numbers like they did in the 50s, two back to back serial numbers could in theory be totally different guitars, I would be very interested in buying this if it actually is 4 numbers away from my les Paul, providing it sounds good, because the seller is within driving distance for me so I would go try it before buying it

Re: Serial Number Question

Not sure if this will help...

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How Iā€™d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Gibson doesn't block serial numbers. They're assigned numbers as they come off the production line. So you've found one pretty close. Call Gibson customer support to be sure. Good luck! Nice score!

R7's will have a different serial run than R0's. The R7 serials start with 7, next the year, next the production numer, the R0's start with 0 and the rest is the same as the R7.

Example: 7 7004, 4th R7 from 2007 and 0 7004, 4th R0 from 2007, so the same number can apply to an R7 and to an R9 or R0.

* the same '07 serial number was also used in '97 and possibly in '57 but that's another story.

www.raysguitarstraps.com
'12 Teye La India Mora 2P, '10 Teye La India S 2P, '64 Fiesta Red Strat, '14 Les Paul CC#18, '14 Les Paul R0ltd, '13 Les Paul R7, '12 Les Paul CC#3, '07 Les Paul CR8 x2, '04 Les Paul R9, '65 Super Reverb, '93 Koch KC50dlx, JB Fuzzface #775

The serial number on the R8 I just got starts with an 86 which means it is a 1958 (8) Reissue that was made in 2006 (6) if that helps.