Topic: John Mayer Stratocaster

Hi everybody,
i've just got back off holiday from New York and managed to fit in some guitar shop trips to 'Rudy's' and 'Matt Umanov' guitars. While i was there i had the chance in both shops to play the John Mayer Strat in both finish options and to see the consistency in quality between the two. Both times i was really impressed and the sound and feel were exactly what i have been searching for. Since i am seriously considering one of these i was wondering if anybody here actually owns or has owned one and could give me their opinion of living with it and using it more regularly. I have only played a couple of Strats before and never owned one so i don't want to be buying something which was just a 'holiday romance' and not something that will work consistently for many years as a work horse!
Thanks smile

Belief is a beautiful armour, but makes for the heaviest sword

Re: John Mayer Stratocaster

How much is it?  Can you get what you want for less?

If a couple of hundred dollar mod to a regular strat can get you what you want then no don't buy it.  If you can't duplicate it without major coat and effort, than go for it.  As big a Clapton fan as I am, I'm not gonna buy a "Blackie".  I'll buy a regular strat and add an aftermarket boost, you are paying something for the name.

I had a Mayer strat for a few years. Beautiful guitar, sounded nice. Not super stratty sounding, which I liked. It just never fully felt the best in my hands. Mostly the neck, and the fretboard edges. I went through periods where I played it often but every time I picked it up after a lull, I felt like I had to get used to it all over again. I don't go through that with my other guitars. I even had it set up recently before I sold it, no dice.

I just sold it a few months ago. Like I said, beautiful piece but I have another strat that I much prefer. I'd say if you played some and really liked them, it should be a good guitar for you. Go for it.

I have a Mayer strat and is my go to guitar. The quality is great. I love everything in it. The neck is amazing.
The pickups are incredible, they don't have a high output, but sound really good and this is the reason why they are so pricey if you look for them on the used marked.
I have also a Clapton Custom Shop, that is also great, but the Mayer has something more. Also my guitar friends think that the Mayer is probably one of the best sounding strat on the market.

When i bought it the Mayer was cheaper then any other artist/signature model...best deal of my life! smile

good luck with your search! smile

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Thanks for the replies, the main reason i tried one in the first place as a Mayer fan was because it had the 'Big Dipper' pickups exclusive to that model. I've looked on a load of other forums and those pickups are talked about like they are made of gold-dust, sugar and magic... I was really impressed with both i tried but it's mainly the question of durability and whether it will be suitable as a guitar for regular gigging and being reliable.
Being a Gibson person it is quite a new thing for me hence me starting the thread, but with the recent quality control issues and such with Gibson i'm looking for something that is built to last and also sound amazing.
Thanks for all the help though, it has been much appreciated! smile

I've never played a John Mayer model so I cannot comment on it but if I was in the market for a Strat right now I'd seriously consider the Eric Johnson signature. It looks, plays and sounds amazing.

RichardH wrote:

I've never played a John Mayer model so I cannot comment on it but if I was in the market for a Strat right now I'd seriously consider the Eric Johnson signature. It looks, plays and sounds amazing.

Played one of those prior to ordering the Mayer. I seem to remember it having a much different neck profile? Both of those strats seem to get a lot of attention.

There does seem to be a lot of competition between the EJ and JM from what i've seen around, it seems that most people believe both models to be the best Fender make outside of the Custom Shop which is high praise. I've never played the EJ model but if i am looking for a rosewood board preferably and the rosewood EJ looks amazing with the binding and colour options.

I will have a look at local shops to see if anybody stocks them to try, however i think the lack of big dippers might be a deal breaker!

helrazr84- if you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you order the Mayer above the others you tried?

Thanks again for the help everyone smile

Count me in the "EJ Strat is the best thing going" camp.

I have the Aqua Blue Firemist with rosewood fretboard -http://kestrou.com/images/ej_strat1.jpg

Here's a pic of him signing mine - that's the right side of my shaggy head, then EJ and SWMBO - http://kestrou.com/images/ej_strat4.jpg

kestrou

kestrou wrote:

Here's a pic of him signing mine - that's the right side of my shaggy head, then EJ and SWMBO - http://kestrou.com/images/ej_strat4.jpg

kestrou

Did you attend the Kenny Wayne Shepherd concert a few weeks ago at the Castle Theater in Bloomington and sitting just left of center in the second row of the non-reserved seating?  You look like the guy that I was sitting directly behind.  He was also from Danville.  If so, small world.  smile

Alex Buckley wrote:

helrazr84- if you don't mind me asking, what was it that made you order the Mayer above the others you tried?

I played a few strats at Guitar Center, including the EJ, but they didn't have the JM. So I ordered the guitar. I ultimately went the the JM because I wanted the Big Dipper Pickups.

kestrou wrote:

Count me in the "EJ Strat is the best thing going" camp.

I have the Aqua Blue Firemist with rosewood fretboard -http://kestrou.com/images/ej_strat1.jpg

kestrou

That is my favourite colour of the EJ ones, the bound board is also amazing, just the look of yours is making it a hard decision to go with the JM! You have a beautiful guitar there

helrazr84 wrote:

I played a few strats at Guitar Center, including the EJ, but they didn't have the JM. So I ordered the guitar. I ultimately went the the JM because I wanted the Big Dipper Pickups.

The big dippers are what i'm really looking for i think. Even though the EJ looks better in my opinion, both JM's i tried in NYC sounded exactly like i wanted them to sound. I'll need to go and have a play on some more Strats though because my experience with them is hugely limited!

14 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2014-09-02 10:42:26)

I've been a John Mayer fan since 2001.
His sig. strats have been around since the mid-2000's. I played one in a guitar store and liked it....especially that the signature is on the back and not the front.

His signature models came about from the SRV sig. strat that he constantly played on tour throughout his career. It was getting worn out. Fender sent him a barrage of strats for him to play on tour to see what he liked. On the Heavier Things tour 2003-2004 he played a bunch of different strats most easily noticed was the Buddy Guy sig strat with the polka dots. I think after that tour he designed and implemented this signature guitar.

JM has big hands, so Im sure the different neck profile is due to that. That said, I thought the neck didn't feel as "bulky" as the KWS strat. Also the big dipper pickups are not closer to the texas specials and not the typical "stratty" sound... although I found them to be clear and articulate without being shrill. I think the entire guitar was loosely based on his '96 SRV strat design as the foundation with JM enhancements.

After all of that. I never bought one. Although for the right price, I would!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

15 (edited by kestrou 2014-09-02 16:36:08)

xland wrote:
kestrou wrote:

kestrou

Did you attend the Kenny Wayne Shepherd concert a few weeks ago at the Castle Theater in Bloomington and sitting just left of center in the second row of the non-reserved seating?  You look like the guy that I was sitting directly behind.  He was also from Danville.  If so, small world.  smile

Yes, yes I did - and I got a guitar signed by KWS that night too: http://kestrou.com/images/kws_strat3.jpg

Here's me hanging with his drummer, Chris Layton, after the show: http://kestrou.com/images/kws_strat4.jpg

kestrou wrote:

Yes, yes I did - and I got a guitar signed by KWS that night too: http://kestrou.com/images/kws_strat3.jpg

Here's me hanging with his drummer, Chris Layton, after the show: http://kestrou.com/images/kws_strat4.jpg

Very, very cool.  Hopefully I'll run into you again and I'll have the opportunity to introduce myself.  Maybe I'll see you at the JB concert in St Louis if you'll be attending.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.  Carry-on.  big_smile

Well i went to my local music shop today and had a go on various different Strat models just to gain a little more experience with them and while they were all nice to play and felt solid, none of them felt the same as the JM and didn't seem as special to play. On a different note though, i played them all through the new Fender Vaporizer amp and it was brilliant, i wouldn't trade the Bluesbreaker for one but for a £300 amp it was fantastic, looks really cool and quirky and is really simple to use too! Back to the main topic though, when i've saved enough i'm definitely going for the JM strat so thank you everybody for the help and information you have given me smile

18 (edited by cindyron 2014-09-03 14:11:30)

Hi I have a few Strats to name a few my favorite ones are Lenny replica, Robin Trower Strat, Beck, Clapton, 72 strat in that order. I am always amazed by the Lenny Strat it sounds awesome and great to play even through it gas 12 gauge strings on it. I have never tried. Mayer Strat sounds like I should

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others