Re: Red Rocks Reviews

Thank you all for sharing your feelings and videos and emotions.  I am filled with love for all of you and the joy we share when Joe Bonamassa plays the guitar.   I hope he somehow knows that he brings such joy to us.   I truly appreciate you guys sharing with us who did not make the trip.  And now the long wait begins for the DVD, oh well I have a show in November to look forward too. tongue

Hello, I am writing a review of this show and would love to know all the players in the band, I cant seem to find concrete info on that, thanks!

39 (edited by Lee 2014-09-02 19:17:04)

Nick Lane - Trombone
Lee Thornburg - Trumpet
Ron Dziubla - Saxophone
Mike Henderson - Harmonica
Michael Rhodes - Bass
Anton Fig - Drums
Kirk Fletcher - Guitar
Reese Wynans - Keyboards
Joe Bonamassa - Guitars and Vocals

Set of proshots from the show. http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2014/09/0 … w/94057/#5
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks for all the reviews, links, vids etc. and thanks Lee and everyone for the other info. very much appreciated!!!
can't wait for the DVD!!!!!!!!!!

here is a venue question. in the pics it looked like bench seats i guess. I am wondering, were they generously spaced out? Some of these older theaters have real tight seating and especially if they add chairs in the front. it can get pretty uncomfortable sometimes due to lack of elbow room so to speak but at least you are confined by the physical chair, wondering if folks stayed in their proper spot on the bench seat if that makes sense.. just curious how it felt there, especially if it is sold out

Hi Jane
I for one did not mind the seats. The whole week was a blast

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

42 (edited by RickB 2014-09-03 11:55:34)

You sat on wood mounted to the cement tiers. The venue was constructed in 1941 by the CCC. There was ample room and good sight lines as well as superb sound everywhere from all reports. You could bring cushions, blankets etc. Ponchos were a good thing too. We had a brief shower just before the show started and it can rain at any time.  All in all though a very orderly and appreciative crowd. Good vibes were universal as far as we experienced. Lots of Bonavirgins were present and I can see the demand in the future will soon crowd out the small venue theaters as his fame continues to grow.

There is a fantastic museum and Hall of Fame dug in to the rocks below the seats which is a must visit item for any music fan and free to enter. It has a large theater with videos running continuously of famous past gigs, exhibits of famous bands and artists line the walls. Outside is a cool restaurant with alfresco seating and a stunning view. We went up on Friday to check out the venue and were really glad we did. We did the tour, then went up to the highest drive accessible spot in the park for a picnic lunch at a nice covered area with a view of Denver and the prairie forever. I picked up a big, nicely shaped piece of red sandstone as a memento of the gig there which is way better than a teeshirt. I have it sitting in the living room and smile every time I see it.   The park is open every day and only closes the venue for sound checks and preparation for the gig on show nights.
Rick

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks for all the reviews, links, vids etc. and thanks Lee and everyone for the other info. very much appreciated!!!

here is a venue question. in the pics it looked like bench seats i guess. I am wondering, were they generously spaced out? Some of these older theaters have real tight seating and especially if they add chairs in the front. it can get pretty uncomfortable sometimes due to lack of elbow room so to speak but at least you are confined by the physical chair, wondering if folks stayed in their proper spot on the bench seat if that makes sense.. just curious how it felt there, especially if it is sold out

Red Rocks has bench seats, with a metal seating number on the edge for your seat.  They aren't all that roomy, but since most of us were standing up most of the time, it worked.  Red Rocks is ok with the audience standing, unlike some venues.  And with the slope of the amphitheater, and the generous foot space between rows, you can usually see ok whether you are sitting or standing. And the acoustics are great, even in the "cheap seats."

I just experienced one of the best times of my life at Red Rocks! Pre-concert get together X 3 with so many fellow fans.  I met so many great people! And Joe......what can I say? He blew my mind again. He was so on! Not one note missed, voice perfect, guitar off the charts!
I brought three newbies to the concert and they all thoroughly enjoyed it!
I am just smiling ear to ear knowing he sold out NINE THOUSAND seats! I am so happy (as I'm sure you all are) for his continued success. Thank you, Joe, for an incredible time! Now just counting the days until Tulsa in November. Joe, you are the best there is on this earth.

Skinnylatte wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Red Rocks has bench seats, with a metal seating number on the edge for your seat.  They aren't all that roomy, but since most of us were standing up most of the time, it worked.  Red Rocks is ok with the audience standing, unlike some venues.  And with the slope of the amphitheater, and the generous foot space between rows, you can usually see ok whether you are sitting or standing. And the acoustics are great, even in the "cheap seats."

I would agree with this description of the seating. Where we were in the 6th row you couldn't see OVER the people in the row or two in front of you if they were standing, but because of the fairly large space between rows it made it much easier to see AROUND anyone standing. Most of the people in our area sat the vast majority of the show, except for ovations at the end of just about every song. However, when Joe came out for the encore to play his own four songs everyone around us (including us) remained standing except for "Sloe Gin".

saunaking wrote:

Last nights version of Slo Gin was the best I have ever heard Joe do.

THIS IS SO TRUE ..... Did anyone capture this, i can clearly say this was by quite some distance Joe tore this to pieces, if anyone sees a full quality vid of this anywhere please post

................ Michael

ps   it will be on the DVD release to certify

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

What a fantastic show and great crowd!  I tried not to get too attached to the large monitor on stage left; but having worked in television production for decades, it was too tempting to watch the live switch between many of the FOURTEEN different cameras, during the performance.  I hope the DVD producers pack in some of those beautiful crane sweeps, showing the full crowd and those towering rock walls in the twilight.  And how about that RAINBOW!  It was all meant to be.  We were on the 12th row, and so couldn't see the entire 'bow; but it should have been captured by the 'zip line' camera suspended over the top row of the amphitheater.

***NOTE:  About two hours prior to the show, a kind couple took our photo (with their own camera phone) on the lawn behind the Trading Post.  I wrote down my email address for forwarding the great shots -- but nothing received, yet.  If that happened to have been YOU, please give us another chance -- if you haven't already deleted the photos :^)    You likely missed a digit and/or letter on my funky address.  Thanks, in advance!  We appreciate the photo op!

Michael wrote:
saunaking wrote:

Last nights version of Slo Gin was the best I have ever heard Joe do.

THIS IS SO TRUE ..... Did anyone capture this, i can clearly say this was by quite some distance Joe tore this to pieces, if anyone sees a full quality vid of this anywhere please post

................ Michael

ps   it will be on the DVD release to certify

Michael --  I recorded most of "Sloe Gin" and will try to get that posted by early next week (another music-packed weekend ahead... Lockn' Fest in the Blue Ridge Mts!).  If you're a guitar player, yourself, you'll appreciate the reach of a 78x optical lens from twelve rows back... this lens can go from a full-wide of the entire stage & rocks to an iso of Joe's fret hand!  Coming soon...

Great gig and got too meet so many awesome people! Got to catch up with Roy before the show and had a quick conversation with Caveman. Definitely the best versions of Sloe Gin and Ballad of John Henry that I've ever seen. Red Rocks is a breath taking venue! Now to find some fall shows to go to.. smile

Bill

Just speaking for myself. I love taking pix of JB live. He is super fun to photograph. I don't do it non-stop - just occasionally. And then after the show when I am too amped to sleep I can upload them to my comp and pick out the best ones and edit a little. This is also an advantage so that I have something to do with all the energy I get from seeing him play live. There's no way I could stand still long enough to video him but I'm thankful for those that do so I can re-live the excitement! And that doesn't  me from buying his DVD's as they will always be much better than those taken by one person with one cam in one spot in the audience. :-)

RickB wrote:
midglide4 wrote:

I may be old school, but why can't fans just enjoy the show and feel the music instead of worrying about their phones and recording etc.
Not meant to be negative criticism, just an observation of the changing times, I guess.

Welcome to the forum. Most fans look forward to vids from the first shows of a special tour to get a peek at the new songs rather than the near year long wait for the dvd release. This is especially true with this very limited mini tour which will have a unique and never to be played again set. Phone and minicams are ubiquitous at shows now. Might as well enjoy the results.

Hi Poc!
Did you get in BonaNation yet?
I am not too good at communicating on the Forum as I am more used to the FB format. Can't tell if you were added yet...
Let me know if you haven't been added to BonaNation and I will get you in there.
You need to tell me what your handle (name) on Facebook is.
I am Laurie Lambe on there too.
Cheers!

Laurie

poc wrote:
RickB wrote:
midglide4 wrote:

Thanks Rick!
Point well taken. Thanks for your reply. Will be coming in from Philly for the show.

There will be a tailgate party with a very large (50+) contingent of forum and facebook BonaNation fans in the Upper South lot a couple of hours before the show. Bring your own libations and chow. Most of us will be flying/driving in as well and are mostly staying at one hotel in Golden. Come find us and say Hi! For coordination, we have a private group called BonaRedRocks which you can join by asking if you do fb.

how can I join BonaNation on fb? all i can find is an unrelated Bona nation. Please help, just a fan, friend me on fb and check my concert pics.
thanks for any help,
poc

laurielambe wrote:

Hi Poc!
Did you get in BonaNation yet?
I am not too good at communicating on the Forum as I am more used to the FB format. Can't tell if you were added yet...
Let me know if you haven't been added to BonaNation and I will get you in there.
You need to tell me what your handle (name) on Facebook is.
I am Laurie Lambe on there too.
Cheers!

Laurie

poc wrote:
RickB wrote:

There will be a tailgate party with a very large (50+) contingent of forum and facebook BonaNation fans in the Upper South lot a couple of hours before the show. Bring your own libations and chow. Most of us will be flying/driving in as well and are mostly staying at one hotel in Golden. Come find us and say Hi! For coordination, we have a private group called BonaRedRocks which you can join by asking if you do fb.

how can I join BonaNation on fb? all i can find is an unrelated Bona nation. Please help, just a fan, friend me on fb and check my concert pics.
thanks for any help,
poc

We have to know who you are on FB to get you in. PM me if you don't want your real name known here.

It's a tiny bit tight but not bothersomely so. I had a great seat and there was no disturbance from anyone around me. Although I had some friends in other areas that were bothered by too many people, too often getting up and down to get more beer.
Red Rocks is a great venue for the size that it is.
I have seen many shows there but the best one of all (true to form) was Joe!
2nd best was Niel Young acoustic tour in about 1992....just pure magic.

Jane H. wrote:

Seems like people on here are really enjoying pix from the Red Rocks show so I am posting mine here in a link to my FB page of the show pix.

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … f6cc255c52

PS. Automatic cams were allowed  and that is what I used to take these pix.