Topic: Strings?

What strings would you all recommend? I've been using Ernie Ball 11-48 Power Slinkys, and I typically change them every 2 weeks or so. The last time I changed them was about 5 days ago, and for some reason with this latest set of strings I took notice as to how quickly the Ernie Balls wore out. Basically after about 3-4 days they lost their brightness and a lot of the complex harmonic overtones, now they just sound dull. I'm trying to avoid buying a dozen different sets of strings and trying them all to see what I like. What would all of you recommend, in terms of strings that will last longer.

Re: Strings?

I have been using D'Addario EXL115 11-49.  I change every 2- 3 weeks at couple hours a day but I am lazy.    They are fully cooked when I change.

I've recently changed from ernie balls to elixir nanowebs.  They're amazing! They last soooo much longer than EBs!! EBs we're feeling dead after just one sweaty gig! I've been getting 3-4 gigs out of the Nanowebs and only restrung because of breakage fear. The feel and tone was still there!

Another plus is they do a set which roughly has the top 3 gauges from 10s and the bottom 3 from 11s, perfect for me. I don't think ernie ball do that combo.

Ditto on the elixirs.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I find rotoreds perfect for me. Well worth a try. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

6 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2014-09-01 21:58:20)

I've been using Elixer Nanowebs for over a decade.  Every few years I try something else just for fun, but always come back to the Nanowebs.  They last months and if you have guitars you don't play every day it's a godsend.  My fingers chew through non-coated strings in a week, but I can get many months out of a set of Nanowebs even with almost daily use.  They do feel a little bit stiffer than non-coated, but they soften up a bit once they're broken in.  They're nice and slinky and the tone difference is very subtle (on electric to my ears they're not quite as bright and zingy).

I use Nanoweb phosphor bronze on my acoustics because I so rarely play acoustic.  If I used uncoated strings I'd have to change them literally every time I got out the guitar.  That said, on acoustic there's a much bigger tone difference (a touch thinner and brighter, which is odd since it's the opposite from electric).  Live through the piezo it doesn't make any difference because that completely changes the sound anyways, but if I'm miking an acoustic for recording I'm tempted to put on something else.  Elixers are certainly worth the convenience factor for me, and they do sound fine.

I tried Polywebs once many years ago and hated them - the coating was too thick and noticeable.  Nanowebs rock, though.

7 (edited by cindyron 2014-08-30 08:18:21)

Strings like guitars to me is a personal choice. So with that said out of all the strings I have tried over the years for electric I use Curt Mangan 11-52 pure nickel (plain 3rd). The best strings for me. For acoustic I use Elixer polyweb the coating help with squeaks and such and sound great when recording

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Ditto on the Curt Mangan strings.....they truly perform well and last...

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

GHS Boomers, last ten years .

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

I think a fresh set of Mangans have less of a zing when you play the guitar unplugged. I actually kinda like that they don't have that, but who the heck plays an electric guitar unplugged...

I like the Boomers. Bright and long lasting, nice feel.

Tried Everly strings once...once was enough. They felt way too slinky and just strange to me.. I don't know?

I like best; the ROTOSOUNDS, or ERNIE BALL, 10-46.

11 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2014-09-04 08:17:10)

For acoustics, I found Cleartone smokes Elixirs. I had a bad set early on and wrote the company, they sent me some free sets... those lasted SO long on my acoustics. They have a better feel than Elixirs too. These feel like natural strings. I might be switching again, since a trusted friend adamant about GHS Laurence Juber stringshttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … ht-strings.

My hand and fingers are super sweaty, I've gotten used to wiping my strings with a dry cloth after playing. Helps a lot for electrics!

For electrics, I rotate. And the reasoning is more HABIT than preference or sound logic.
D'Addario for PRS and Fenders
Ernie Ball for Gibsons

I'll buy GHS Boomers when they're on psycho-sale because they do sound good.
I always liked DR strings too...

I like to buy in bulk, so if I can get a deal on 12 or 15 packs of strings, that'll do me well for a half-year. I have a lot of guitars, and that helps with not having to restring a guitar every two weeks. They're all on different 'string change' cycles lol

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have used optima gold strings for electric with great success.  They last months and don't 'go off' when you aren't playing the guitar.

I have elixirs on the acoustic but I might try optimas on there too.