Topic: Lusting after a Firebird clone

Hey guys,

I've always kind of wanted a Firebird - but with Johnny Winter's death, I really want one now - especially for when we play his songs in my band. My budget is around $1k, but the price/quality ratio is important. If I can get something cheap-ish and have it do the job, by all means. Vibrola and trapezoid inlays are a plus - not looking for any particular colors. I'm fine with imports and such.

Thanks! smile

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

Re: Lusting after a Firebird clone

You can buy Gibson Firebirds all day long for close to that. I just scored a 2000 in a natural burst for $1100. Don't even play the damn thing.

See if you can find a Greco from the 70's. The stock Firebird pickups gibson is using since the 2000's is total crap. For about 800 you can get an older guitar with old wood and the Greco pickups from that time are killer. I have owned my share of birds and that Greco that I paid 750 for was the best sounding one out of the box. Should have kept it but financial woes determined otherwise. You will have to be patient, they are quite rare although not very pricey (except sometimes when an uninformed seller tires to price gauge).

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

4 (edited by kestrou 2014-08-26 12:15:34)

Here's a pic of mine - sitting on the table.

http://kestrou.com/images/johnny_winter.jpg

I'm the guy on the right, guess who the guy on the left is?! smile

kestrou

5 (edited by macg1 2014-08-26 14:35:01)

Johnny signed my FB VII also. Because he signed so many, his signature is not rare, which also does not enhance the value of the guitar by much. There is a guy on ebay now trying to sell a FB VII just like mine that JW signed for some ridiculous amount of money. Johnny never played a FB VII (to my knowledge).

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:

Johnny signed my FB VII also. Because he signed so many, his signature is not rare, which also does not enhance the value of the guitar by much. There is a guy on ebay now trying to sell a FB VII just like mine that JW signed for some ridiculous amount of money. Johnny never played a FB VII (to my knowledge).

Good thing mine's not for sale then! smile

kestrou

kestrou wrote:

kestrou

Awesome picture Kestrou. Talk about a Kodak moment. You definitely have your picture with one of the greatest ever.

Found this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRECO-1988-REVE … 35d9a5c67f
The color is sweet, but I did notice there is no tummy route sad

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

HoosierRock wrote:
kestrou wrote:

kestrou

Awesome picture Kestrou. Talk about a Kodak moment. You definitely have your picture with one of the greatest ever.

Thanks - that was Johnny and I hanging on his tour bus in September of last year.  Chatted for quite a while about stories from his biography "Raisin' Cain" and were laughing pretty hard at parts of it.

Knew that he had always had poor vision, but noticed that he never seemed to really visually focus on anything while we were chatting, as though he were completely blind.  Then heard a few months later that he went to an eye doctor and had a lot of cataracts, which he had evidently had for YEARS but had never been diagnosed/addressed.  After he got them removed he said he had the best vision he ever remembered having in his life.  Glad he got to see well before he passed...

kestrou

I'm starting to think about checking a Dillion out, maybe a Vintage, or even waiting to score one of the older Epiphones with a tailpiece - had to get some stuff fixed on my Jeep, so my budget is only around $600 now.

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV