Topic: Why is the music so loud?

Three of us went to see Joe in Toulouse last night (19th June 2014). Had been looking forward to it for weeks. First time we would see him on stage. We expected to come out of it elated.

Instead we came out frustrated and feeling cheated and quite frankly sad. Why? Because the show was spoiled by the excessive decibels. It was just a sea of noise - sometime bordering on feed-back -  which swallowed Joe's fantastic voice and the way he can modulate it - as in Dust bowl. The beautiful lyrics got lost. Joe's brilliant guitar playing came through as shrill noise and Carmin's bass was completely wasted and undistinguishable in the loud mess. Some 'softer' moments gave a measure of Joe's great talent.

We thought that perhaps the venue was to blame. Something was wrong with the sound system. But no. A search on the internet revealed that many concert goers on both sides of the Atlantic had a similar experience - and not just on this tour.

Can somebody explain to us the point of such loudness? We fail to understand the logic of it in artistic terms. The man is brilliant, his musicians are first class. His music is mesmerizing and gut wrenching at times. Why, oh why, spoil it? There is NO need for such loud noise.

Re: Why is the music so loud?

Welcome.  Great first post!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Hmm.  I personally like the music to be loud, very loud.  My only experience seeing Joe was this past April in Peoria, IL and it was loud...and it was awesome!!  I can only assume that the sound was bad because loud is not a bad thing...ask The Who.

I tend to agree, but not just about Joe. Apparently most music fans like it, or can withstand it, much louder than I would prefer. I can't remember the last time I didn't wear earplugs to a concert of any kind.

I think it's good practice to bring earplugs to shows. Generally I don't end up wearing them, but you never know when you might be right in front of someone's amp or be in a spot that gets a weird reverberating tone or what-have-you. I've never had a problem with Joe's volume. I think I read somewhere that they get a dB level or someone checks it at some point so they have an idea.

I had balcony tickets for Joe a year or so back in Seattle, and I sat next to a lady (seemed like a journalist, had all this notebook paper with her, kept shuffling) who tweeted during the show something like Joe, its too loud!

But seriously, it wasn't. Everyone around me were rocking out having a great time.

I may be off base but I think Joe's got his sound and levels dialed in. I would tend to blame the venue, poor acoustics, or some other gear issue before I blamed Joe himself. Trying not to be sarcastic here about the "search on the internet" but if I searched "Joe Bonamassa's crazy fans" I could probably conclude that many fans are crazy. Get my drift?

I can just see my wife's face, when I tell her before we leave for the show....don't forget your earplugs and sun glasses  wink

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

Ha ha , Im 65 years young and have seen Joe many times . Never from more than the third row . I love feeling the sound . Just goes to show you cant please everyone , you got to please yourself.  Rock on Joe .

I have seen Joe several times and it has been loud but never excessively loud.  A little extra volume creates energy in a good blues rock show.  I don't want it to be painful but I like to feel the music.  One thing that has always impressed me about Joe's shows are the dynamics of Joe and his band.  They create a lot of emotion and feeling with different volumes and tempos.

Hi ! Everybody and thanks for reading my post and taking the time to reply to it. Just would like to add a couple of comments if I may.
I too like loud. I like to feel the music going to my brain through my ears and through my body, all wrapped up by the music. But not at the expense of the performance, as I have described in my earlier post.
With all due respect, it’s not a question of ‘not being able to please everyone’.  When it comes to the human senses, we enter a totally subjective domain. Hearing is no exception. We each live in our own little bubble not really knowing what the others are perceiving and experiencing. But I wonder whether there is not an objective limit of loudness beyond which the ‘art’ (another difficult concept…) gets lost.
Several of you mentioned ear plugs. Ear plugs? Is this what going to concerts has come to? Is it not time to reassess the situation? There is perhaps room for a debate between musicians, producers, sound engineers and the public. Where is the decibel escalation going to stop?
Furthermore, I don’t want to have to listen to ‘muffled’ music. For instance, when  Joe changes guitars between songs, it’s presumably NOT  because he wants us to know what a great collection of instruments he’s got, but because he feels that the tonality, range, etc. of a particular guitar will be better suited to the song and his playing. I am no expert but, on DVD recordings, I can hear the difference between the guitars. I don’t want to lose the enjoyment afforded by the artist’s choices – Joe in this case - because the loudness distorts the sound.
By the way, I am not ‘blaming Joe’ or anybody else for that matter. We are absolutely in awe of Joe’s musicianship in this household, plus the fact that he comes across as a really nice person and a very generous musician, not minding taking a back seat to give other musicians space. We love his work with Beth Hart for instance.
Anyway, thank you for reading and I wish all of you many years of happy concert going.

LOL!  From the thread title, I expected to read the initial post and see the word "whippersnapper" in there somewhere smile.

WHY? So I can hear it!!! wink

It's a long way to San Diego... tongue

Rock ON@Leased Loud & Quietly Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

12 (edited by almico 2014-06-25 21:11:19)

We used to say "if it's too loud, you're too old".

I guess now it's "if it's too loud, you're not old enough".

Loudness does not equate to distortion. Very loud, very clean music is a beautiful thing. My only Joe show so far was the Hartford show this year. It was very loud, and very clean. When the band came in during John Henry it felt like a mule kick...awesome! But it was not distorted in the least.

I'm not up on Joe's sound system and whether or not he has to pipe through venue PA systems, but the PA at Pinkpop is not the same as I saw at Hartford.

I'm not a big fan of modern line array speakers. I'd love to hear Joe's tone through a stack of old Woodstock type Altec big boxes and compression drivers.

Little line array boxes do travel better though, but we have lost a lot, sonic-wise. Bill Hanley, we miss you!!

as mentioned previously, perhaps there is some confusion between volume and distortion.
I was at Joe's first RAH concert and at times the sound was distorted which was a bit 'painful' to listen to, other members of the audience heard no distortion and some (if you check the forum) had to leave the auditorium due to the sound.
The sound system is fixed, some members of the audience will be close to the speakers, others will be far away, also level with speakers or below/above them can cause variations in sound quality.
My last two concerts in the UK at the Brighton Centre have been loud - possibly a bit too loud
in parts but if the mix is right then the volume isn't a big issue.
That said I have yet to leave with my ears ringing which has happened in the past - Ian Gillan, Ozzy Osbourne and Iron Maiden to name but a few.

Lester..

Based on the variety of comments and opinions, it appears to me that you really CAN'T please everybody.
They're a bit pricey, but for someone that goes to a lot of loud concerts, perhaps worth the price:
http://www.etymotic.com/hp/mp915.html

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

Based on the variety of comments and opinions, it appears to me that you really CAN'T please everybody.
They're a bit pricey, but for someone that goes to a lot of loud concerts, perhaps worth the price:

Those look like ones that a sound guy at one of the venues we go to frequently was telling us about. He spoke of ones that were a bit pricey, but were very similar looking to in-ear monitors. He said the decibel levels are just diminished, not distorted and that you could adjust them somewhat. Seemed like something to possibly check out.

nmagcorn wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Those look like ones that a sound guy at one of the venues we go to frequently was telling us about. He spoke of ones that were a bit pricey, but were very similar looking to in-ear monitors. He said the decibel levels are just diminished, not distorted and that you could adjust them somewhat. Seemed like something to possibly check out.

I bought some attenuated ear plugs from an audiologist about 15 years ago. They were molded to my ear and had different degrees of reduction but they didn't have the ability to adjust like these shown. I paid more than that for them. I don't always wear them because the sound is unnatural. I do keep them with me in case sound levels become uncomfortable. I have never worn them at a Joe show. wink

17 (edited by DougH 2014-08-07 19:00:28)

this has been debaited far too many times in the past few years that I've been on the forum. most reply's just become an attack on the first time poster.

Ear Plugs should not be an option for muddy sound, just for reducing DB (SPL's if you will)

I've posted that I've heard a loud mud sound from the stage.. most notable was when I was in Buffalo in 2012 from the 4 row main balcony.
just a wall of mud and Joe's voice never cut the din that night, only the solo's broke through.

from then on in I made sure I had seats on the floor no farther back than 10th row.
Sound is excellent from there every time.
It sure doesn't sound like mud from rows 1-10

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

this has been debaited far too many times in the past few years that I've been on the forum. most reply's just become an attack on the first time poster.

Ear Plugs should not be an option for muddy sound, just for reducing DB (SPL's if you will)

I've posted that I've heard a loud mud sound from the stage.. most notable was when I was in Buffalo in 2012 from the 4 row main balcony.
just a wall of mud and Joe's voice never cut the din that night, only the solo's broke through.

from then on in I made sure I had seats on the floor no farther back than 10th row.
Sound is excellent from there every time.
It sure doesn't sound like mud from rows 1-10

No criticism here, just trying to be helpfull.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"