Topic: Tele advice

Hi all

While I wait until next year to be in a position to get a new Les Paul, I find myself craving a good ol' Telecaster.

I'm not looking to spend too much, so wondered whether people on here could chip in with their thoughts on the 4 options I'm considering...

Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender American Special Telecaster
Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster
Fender MIM Cabronita

Normally I tend to favour vintage style guitars, but that said, do like some modern refinements...

So what are everyone's opinions on any of the above?

Thanks guys

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Re: Tele advice

I have spent YEARS looking for the perfect tele.
I'd really like one with a tummy route, and normal tele pickups. It's just gotta be comfortable... and sound like a freakin tele.

ironically, (also  LP guy myself) I tend to favor the Squier Vintage Vibe the most... but all Tele's sound 'good' it's hard to find the one I cannot put down.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I wouldn't discount a Japanese made Tele. Several years ago I bought a MIJ Fender Vintage '62 Custom Telecaster with binding on the back and front of the body. As usual the Japanese craftsmanship was superb and it sounds great.

I am a tele guy. My #1 is an American Std. Tele (I did change the pickups) from '94.  And, as much as I love it, and the whole "American made" thing, I'm buying another tele- and it's a SQUIER (yes, squier) Classic Vibe 50s.   Same neck and frets as the Am. Std., the A3 pickups get really good reviews, and it's vintage blonde.  $280 new anywhere.   I have read far too many rave reviews by seasoned players to ignore Squier any longer.  I think most people just don't want "Squier" on their headstock, they want "Fender".

That being said, the Am. Std. is a fantastic tele.  Provided you like the neck of course.

Local shop I frequent where my uncle teaches guitar has had 2 used teles for a while. I've picked them both up on several occasions, back and forth to play and compare for the heck of it. They play and feel darn near equally well. One is an American and the other: a cheapie Squier, like mentioned above.

If I was in the market for a Tele, I'd have no reservations buying an "inferior" non-US made one.

You may want to consider one of the smaller producers of Teles.
I just took possession of a Danocaster Tele, and it had made me list my US Fender model.

Exceptionally well-made, has minimal relicing, neck is fantastic, sounds incredible!

Call me an old fart, but Telecasters are made by Fender, have a little chrome pickup at the neck, a pickup with pole pieces at the bridge, one volume and one tone control and a slide switch.  The have a tiny funny looking head and the strings go through the body.  Everything else is something else and not a Telecaster.

njpaulc wrote:

Call me an old fart, but Telecasters are made by Fender, have a little chrome pickup at the neck, a pickup with pole pieces at the bridge, one volume and one tone control and a slide switch.  The have a tiny funny looking head and the strings go through the body.  Everything else is something else and not a Telecaster.

+1

You cant compare Jimmy Page with God. I mean he's cool and all, but he's no Jimmy Page!!

TJNies wrote:

You may want to consider one of the smaller producers of Teles.
I just took possession of a Danocaster Tele, and it had made me list my US Fender model.

Exceptionally well-made, has minimal relicing, neck is fantastic, sounds incredible!

They do look great, but I'm fairly sure they're WAY out of my price range...an American Standard will be pushing my budget somewhat!!

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

10 (edited by ken 2014-08-04 10:15:57)

ruger9 wrote:

I am a tele guy. My #1 is an American Std. Tele (I did change the pickups) from '94.  And, as much as I love it, and the whole "American made" thing, I'm buying another tele- and it's a SQUIER (yes, squier) Classic Vibe 50s.   Same neck and frets as the Am. Std., the A3 pickups get really good reviews, and it's vintage blonde.  $280 new anywhere.   I have read far too many rave reviews by seasoned players to ignore Squier any longer.  I think most people just don't want "Squier" on their headstock, they want "Fender".

That being said, the Am. Std. is a fantastic tele.  Provided you like the neck of course.

Here's your answer for a good tele at a great price. This will get the job done, sound great (I've never heard negatives about these either), and will not break the bank.
Lot's of good small builders out there, but they will break the bank.