1 (edited by rdawsoniii 2014-04-22 15:51:21)

Topic: Looking to buy Gibson Joe B. Les Paul Studio...

Not much luck searching the net for one of these.  Did find one used one for $1,650 plus shipping, which is more than I want to spend.

What do these usually go for, and how often do they come up for sale?  I don't play a lot of guitar...would the Epiphone model be better (I know where I can get one)?  The reason I was wanting the Gibson is because...other than my custom made banjo...I've never bought "top of the line" and thought I would do so this time.

I could get a non-Joe Gibson or Epi, but it seems you get more for your $$ with his models.

2 (edited by jddarden 2014-04-22 19:49:38)

Re: Looking to buy Gibson Joe B. Les Paul Studio...

I've seen them go for varying prices. Here's one that got relisted several times with corresponding price drops, finally selling for somewhere below $1480 (he took an offer that isn't published). It's listed as having minor dings. I've also seen them go for $1500 - $1600 range in excellent condition. I'd keep looking if you really want one bad. I have the studio and the Epi (easier to find) and IMHO, they both sound great and the EPI is a sweet guitar also. Best to try both if you can.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231201837415?ss … 1423.l2649

If you live near me, you can check out mine (and the STD and CS).

JD

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

jddarden wrote:

I've seen them go for varying prices. Here's one that got relisted several times with corresponding price drops, finally selling for somewhere below $1480 (he took an offer that isn't published). It's listed as having minor dings. I've also seen them go for $1500 - $1600 range in excellent condition. I'd keep looking if you really want one bad. I have the studio and the Epi (easier to find) and IMHO, they both sound great and the EPI is a sweet guitar also. Best to try both if you can.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231201837415?ss … 1423.l2649

If you live near me, you can check out mine (and the STD and CS).

JD

I live in Iowa, but thanks for the offer!

There is no way I would be able to try either one.  Would have to purchase online.  I would assume the $1,200 range for the Gibson is a pipe dream.  I'll probably have to go with the Epi....which I have no problem with, as I've owned a couple...a Joe Pass Emporer II and a Les Paul Studio..both of which were great guitars..and both of which are long gone!

I'm not a very good player (primarily play banjo) so I don't really need high end, and the Epi has Gibson/USA electronics from what I understand, so it is probably a better value.

Still...wouldn't mind a Gibson.  Funny, but Gibson guitars are less expensive than Gibson banjos (which they don't make anymore).

4 (edited by airportdon 2014-04-23 07:50:33)

This one was already sold...they were going for around 599-699 new back then
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8779 … ic-Guitar/

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Ended up going with the Epiphone...Guitar Center actually had a new one listed on their site.  I suppose I could have waited and searched around for weeks/months for the Gibson, but for 1/2 the price I'm still getting a darn good guitar and an amp.

I have too many instruments....3 guitars, 2 banjos, a mandolin, fiddle and ukelele.

Congrats on your soon to have NGD!

I'll was going to throw in yesterday that Rumbleseat Music (NY) has a used Studio for $1650, that also includes an uninstalled set of Joe SD pickups.  You mentioned that $ as being out of your range .. so I didn't post.  Decided to post it today incase someone else here on the Forum sees the Topic and was Studio shopping.  $ isn't bad (for a Joe Studio) with the pickups included (don't know if they have ever been installed on this, or other guitar.)

(Not affiliated)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

I think you'll be very happy with it. I don't play mine often, but it has great tone. Same pickups as the studio and my CS, I believe. Congrats!

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

8 (edited by rdawsoniii 2014-04-24 09:23:53)

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

Congrats on your soon to have NGD!

I'll was going to throw in yesterday that Rumbleseat Music (NY) has a used Studio for $1650, that also includes an uninstalled set of Joe SD pickups.  You mentioned that $ as being out of your range .. so I didn't post.  Decided to post it today incase someone else here on the Forum sees the Topic and was Studio shopping.  $ isn't bad (for a Joe Studio) with the pickups included (don't know if they have ever been installed on this, or other guitar.)

(Not affiliated)

I did see that guitar...almost went for it, but decided not to.  If shipping were free I might have, but that, along with 8% sales tax...just made it more than I wanted to spend.

I managed to find what is probably one of the last (supposedly) new Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul's.  Got it from Guitar Center, but not by going to their main site.  I googled the guitar and it gave me a link to it at Guitar Center.  Weird.  Apparently they had one in stock at the South Miami store.  It hasn't shipped yet, so we'll see.

I thought I was getting a Gibson JB from World's Guitars yesterday...mint...$1,250 that I found the same way...it even allowed me to purchase it and be charged to my card..only to get an email a few minutes later with a credit and a note that it was not in stock.  Oh well....

9 (edited by rdawsoniii 2014-04-24 09:24:43)

I knew it was too good to be true.  Got an email saying they don't have the case, and do I still want it.

No way I'm buying a supposedly new guitar with no case (and probably no documentation).  The thing has probably been hanging on the wall all this time, with every wannabe wanker playing "Smoke On The Water"  on it about a million times.  How can they not have the case?

The search continues....

rdawsoniii wrote:

I knew it was too good to be true.  Got an email saying they don't have the case, and do I still want it.

No way I'm buying a supposedly new guitar with no case (and probably no documentation).  The thing has probably been hanging on the wall all this time, with every wannabe wanker playing "Smoke On The Water"  on it about a million times.  How can they not have the case?

The search continues....

Looks like they are making the same Joe B.-Epi  L/p model in Blue....coming soon

11 (edited by rdawsoniii 2014-04-24 11:33:27)

SCORE!!!!!

I decided to take the plunge with the Gibson Joe B. at Rumble Seat Music.  Practically new...no scratches or dings....protective plastic still on the pick guard.  They came down a little in price and included shipping.  No sales tax.  Apparently a guy was building a new house and decided to sell some of his guitars...Rumble Seat bought 15 of them.  Sounds like a guy with serious G.A.S....which makes it even more likely the guitar has barely been touched.

Lower price, free shipping and no tax makes it a little more palatable...especially since I will sell the new in box Seymour JB pickups at a HUGE discount, along with one of my banjos and Martin guitar.

12 (edited by airportdon 2014-04-24 12:41:19)

rdawsoniii wrote:

SCORE!!!!!

I decided to take the plunge with the Gibson Joe B. at Rumble Seat Music.  Practically new...no scratches or dings....protective plastic still on the pick guard.  They came down a little in price and included shipping.  No sales tax.  Apparently a guy was building a new house and decided to sell some of his guitars...Rumble Seat bought 15 of them.  Sounds like a guy with serious G.A.S....which makes it even more likely the guitar has barely been touched.

Lower price, free shipping and no tax makes it a little more palatable...especially since I will sell the new in box Seymour JB pickups at a HUGE discount, along with one of my banjos and Martin guitar.

Congrats on the newbie....:)

P/M sent as well

rdawsoniii wrote:

SCORE!!!!!
Gibson Joe B. at Rumble Seat Music.  Practically new ..
Lower price, free shipping and no tax ..

Mission accomplished Brother .. sweet score indeed .. congrats! cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

Congrats again. Glad things came together. That Studio did look nice in RS's pboto ... and they have a good rep. (They were ... afterall ... the caretaker of Skinner for a bit.)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Congratulations on the awesome score! FYI, I inquired about that same guitar also, but I was too late! I was told it was just sold, then a few days later I found this thread and thought to myself, how cool!
Sence then I've found a JBLP Standard Goldtop and made the big plunge, I cant wait for it to get here!

Again, Congratulations!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Welcome to the forum, Rusty. You got a great guitar. I love the slimmer neck and the pickups are awesome.
Have fun with it.

Rusty wrote:

Congratulations on the awesome score! FYI, I inquired about that same guitar also, but I was too late! I was told it was just sold, then a few days later I found this thread and thought to myself, how cool!
Sence then I've found a JBLP Standard Goldtop and made the big plunge, I cant wait for it to get here!

Again, Congratulations!

Thanks.

It  is mint...I don't think the previous owner played it at all.  Still has the warranty card.  It came with the Joe B. Custom Seymour Duncan pickups still in the box....brand new...never opened.

rdawsoniii wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Again, Congratulations!

Thanks.

It  is mint...I don't think the previous owner played it at all.  Still has the warranty card.  It came with the Joe B. Custom Seymour Duncan pickups still in the box....brand new...never opened.

Wow, that is great! The pickups alone go for $375, you did real good. Enjoy!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP