Re: Des Moines and the Iowa Trifecta

JOE CAME, WE SAW, HE CONQUERED!!!!

Joe's comments each night.....  Night One  The First of 3 Shows in Iowa
                                                           Night Two  The Iowa Trifecta
                                                           Night Three  Tour de Iowa    smile

Iowa is The Field of Dreams.......If Joe Plays It, We will come.......

....to be continued

pattyluvsjoe smile

P.S.  Yes, I am one proud Iowan right now, JOE ROCKED IOWA !!!!  cool

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

At the airport heading home. Some many wonderful things happened over the past 4 days that it was kind of like a dream, it all seems to good to be real. Hard to put into words right now, very exhausted with only about 3 - 4 hours of sleep each night. I have a lot of video uploading to do when I get home. Thank you so much Patty for such a wonderful time. Iowa is the place to be!

nmagcorn wrote:

At the airport heading home. Some many wonderful things happened over the past 4 days that it was kind of like a dream, it all seems to good to be real. Hard to put into words right now, very exhausted with only about 3 - 4 hours of sleep each night. I have a lot of video uploading to do when I get home. Thank you so much Patty for such a wonderful time. Iowa is the place to be!

I told you! Safe travels to you and Phil. I too have a lot to upload, but today was for us. 80 degrees and breezy had us take a loooong walk up to the State Capitol area and some touristing. This evening, a farewell dinner with PLJ to top off a fantastic Midwest adventure. Two years from now Joe should again hit Iowa and we are so there!

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

40 (edited by Buzzy 2014-04-20 20:32:00)

Welcome home folks .. lol

Just wanna thank u all for contributing to this thread (and of course coach's Sioux City thread).

Ur travels, reviews, and added video clips had me feelin like I was right there enjoying it all .. lol

Glad u all had a wonderful time .. May 24th can't come soon enough for me .. lol

Thanks again! cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

41 (edited by Jigsawearth83 2014-04-20 22:45:19)

Jumping on the bandwagon late here, but wanted to finally add my impressions of the Des Moines concert and publicly proclaim that I am no longer a Bonavirgin! big_smile Got to meet Natasha, Phil, Patty, Lee, and Rick, and had amazing seats just 8 rows back (row E).

The first set was so great! It was amazing just to see Joe in the flesh after years of DVD-only sightings, and his band, with their varying delightful instruments, were such a wonderful addition. Highlights for me were Jockey Full of Bourbon (I just love the whimsical keyboard and percussion), Ball Peen Hammer, and Athens to Athens.

As for the second set -- whew, boy! He blew the roof off (well, and nearly lit the stage on fire). tongue I was just so transfixed, watching him rock out song after song, and I was impressed by how good his voice sounded, too! Love that smoky, scratchy, yet pitch-perfect croon of his. That seaglass-colored guitar he played on Oh, Beautiful was SO gorgeous, and I couldn't believe how flawlessly he kept playing with all that amp drama going on behind him. A true professional!

My second-set highlights had to be Blues Deluxe (what a great surprise, even though Midnight Blues is one of my all-time faves of his -- this was a real treat!), Slow Train (INSANE ending that seemed to go on forever), The Ballad of John Henry (I love this new arrangement with all the crazy solos), and Django/Mountain Time (magical to see these live after so many listens at home).

And my post-show highlight? Phil thoughtfully giving me the drum stick of Tal's that he'd caught! big_smile Thanks so much for the souvenir! 'Twas a night to remember!

I also want to thanks everyone for their impressions....posting of videos...cool stories....ect.

I have totally enjoyed this thread.

It makes Nov. 20th seem so far away......yet I am so very much excited, for what I know will be one of my best musical experiences....EVER

I am now wishing that I would have purchased the meet & greet for my wife and I.

Thanks again, for a wonderful thread.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

43 (edited by nmagcorn 2014-04-21 10:50:58)

We had an incredible time in lovely Iowa ( Patty country). I really can't put fully into words how wonderful these past 4 days have been. It was one fantastic experience after another shared with our friends new and old. It is hard to believe we just met Patty, Renee, Lee, and Rhonda because I feel like we have known you all forever. A thank you to Helen for switching seats with me in Davenport. Phil and I were 5th row with four behemoths in front of us and Rick and Helen were 2nd row. Helen, you are a dear friend. There really is something magically special about that Joe Bonamassasa because the most wonderful people are drawn to him. Thank you Joe for 3 fantastic shows, you are the greatest and so are the people who love you. Here are a few more form the electric set. The only song I didn't get was "Sloe Gin" because the battery died and I ended up putting an old battery in instead of a fresh one. Oh well, not like there aren't a ton of Sloe Gin videos out there, lol!

Have to say the lighting for these shows has just been fantastic for filming from the first few rows of the venues. The videos of the electric set have just been stunning because of it.

Dust Bowl http://youtu.be/aiNA2YXFFFY

Who's Been Talking http://youtu.be/UeDRQDB48Lo

Slow Train http://youtu.be/O6lRzClhvBA

Ballad of John Henry http://youtu.be/pDbVuBkyAQY

44 (edited by RickB 2014-04-21 11:30:18)

As we close out our Iowa adventure we must give thanks to all the BonaBuddies here for such a great time. We had  a nice dinner and chat with Patty last night here in the hotel, reminiscing about the Tour de Iowa.
I have more vids in the can too. A glance at my channel shows 999,053 views so who will be the magic viewer that puts it over the top at A MILLION? Thanks for the support and views. I had no idea this hobby would be so well received. The vast majority of those views are Joe and his pals and I'm happy to have lended support in his growth.

Off to Minneapolis in a bit and next up is a gig Thursday to benefit Walter Trout at a BBQ joint there which should be fun.
See ya later pals.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Off to Minneapolis in a bit and next up is a gig Thursday to benefit Walter Trout at a BBQ joint there which should be fun.
See ya later pals.
Rick

Hey Rick, I knew you were going to Minneapolis for a few days, but I didn't know you were going to Famous Dave's. We'll see you there! Will it be just you and Helen? After reading this I called Famous Dave's and reserved a table for 4 for 6:30 with a request to be close to the stage. Let me know if that works. You can shoot me an email through my profile link, too.

Hey Rick...met you and your lovely wife on the corner where the buses where parked for Joe's show in Davenport, Iowa, the last leg of his "Iowa de Force" tour!  I'll post some pictures later but I was wearing the Joe Beacon New York T-shirt and talked to you two right after Lenny and the Irish and Swedish lads walked back from fishing in the Mississippi.  Nice to have met you.  Hopefully, we'll meet again at another Joe concert.  smile  Smiles.

RickB wrote:

Might as well give this a jump start.
Bags (Helen's) packed and rarin' to hit the road.

Patty posts a pic of SNOW yikes mad this morning on F/B. What is it with Joe and our road trips that involve freezing weather? We are packing for arctic weather again. sad

Ya better be ready to warm us all up Joe! smile
Rick

47 (edited by nmagcorn 2014-04-21 12:56:35)

A few photos from the Iowa shows. As some of you already know, I made up little replicas of Joe's guitars out of wood to give to him as a birthday present. So nice to be able to give them to him at the Des Moines show. We were also fortunate to spend a little time with Tal and Carmine before the Davenport show plus we saw Lenny, Mats and Gerry on our walk by the Mississippi river.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/anitrasda … 179149881/

nmagcorn wrote:

A few photos from the Iowa shows. As some of you already know, I made up little replicas of Joe's guitars out of wood to give to him as a birthday present. So nice to be able to give them to him at the Des Moines show. We were also fortunate to spend a little time with Tal and Carmine before the Davenport show plus we saw Lenny, Mats and Gerry on our walk by the Mississippi river.

Those are cool guitar replicas. You really made them? Looks like a lot of work and detail. I would think you could sell those at craft shows if they were fun to do and you wanted to do more or have a lot of extra time on your hands. Can I order a set? wink

Those guitars are seriously the coolest Natasha! I bet Joe really loved them!

nmagcorn wrote:

edragoo wrote:

When he first saw the box, he was like, "ooh a Gibson box!" Then he looked inside and was like, "cool! coasters!" He started taking them all out and naming all of them and telling Clay. Then he was like, "these are going on the bus!" I was happy he liked them.

nmagcorn wrote:
edragoo wrote:

When he first saw the box, he was like, "ooh a Gibson box!" Then he looked inside and was like, "cool! coasters!" He started taking them all out and naming all of them and telling Clay. Then he was like, "these are going on the bus!" I was happy he liked them.

Those are so amazing! What an awesome gift! And sorry I had to dash off and didn't get to hang with you guys a bit more... But it was nice to at least chat for a few. Tell Phil thanks again! smile

52 (edited by nmagcorn 2014-04-21 14:28:04)

jim m wrote:

Those are cool guitar replicas. You really made them? Looks like a lot of work and detail. I would think you could sell those at craft shows if they were fun to do and you wanted to do more or have a lot of extra time on your hands. Can I order a set? wink

Yeah Jim, I really made them. They were quite a process. Cut them out of small boards that I had from branches that had fallen in our yard. I bandsawed them to the proper thickness, then planed them down so they were smooth. Cut the image out on a jigsaw. I found images on the internet and also used photos that Joe had posted and I had taken. Then I transferred the lines of the image onto the wood using transfer paper. Then painted them by hand using a tiny brush and sometimes a paint pen. Then sprayed on an acrylic coating. The coating wasn't curing well, so I'm a little worried they might be sticking together if they are all stacked up. I was really stressing about the darn coating, but there is nothing I can do about it now. It took a couple of weeks to make all 9 of them. I had never really painted like that before so it was quite the learning process. They got better as I went along. I was only going to do 8, but Joe kept showing photos of that new black burst, so I felt I had to include that one also. Since it was the last, I think it turned out the best. It was quite a fun project.

Jigsawearth, it was great meeting you as well! So glad you had a great time at the show since I know you were a bit worried about the whole thing. Joe makes everything better smile

Natasha's guitar coasters are very cool!.  She has one steady hand....I won't say nerves of steel because she told me about all the things she did and had to redo or change, and how it made her bonkers! I still don't know how she got the string lines so straight?? They are very cool!  And you could tell that Joe thought they were the coolest ever too!  She is one very talented Joe-Head!!!!  wink

pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

nmagcorn wrote:

You have some serious good skills to do those guitars....those are fantastic.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp