19 (edited by RickB 2014-04-17 21:07:36)

Re: For those who have been to a meet & greet....

Two years ago the wife and I had flown in to Des Moines for the first time to see the Midwest fans and Joe. I passed on the m/g since we'd already seen him several times and didn't want to take a new fan's chance. We were in the theater lobby watching the m/g through the glass wall and there must have been near 100 lined up to see him. The line got down to a few and we were chatting with a young couple who were watching too when Joe happened to look up, saw us and waved, then gave the come on in wave and called over his tour man who came and opened the door and let us and the young couple in. We took our spot in line and when we came to the head, Joe said, "Rick and Helen from San Diego, how could I not say  hi to you after you came all the way here to see me." Well, knock me over with a feather! We are going to be looking in the glass at the meet tomorrow night too at the Des Moines Civic. Could lightning strike twice?  big_smile
Joe's a Prince!
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Oldbill: Where did you sign up for a M&G in Columbia?

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

Joe's certainly had plenty of experience at doing M&Gs and really knows how to make people feel at ease. I wasn't bothered about getting a signature, just wanted to say hello and have a photo. We had some laughs - it was like chatting to a friend. Just relax and enjoy!

RickB wrote:

Two years ago the wife and I had flown in to Des Moines for the first time to see the Midwest fans and Joe. I passed on the m/g since we'd already seen him several times and didn't want to take a new fan's chance. We were in the theater lobby watching the m/g through the glass wall and there must have been near 100 lined up to see him. The line got down to a few and we were chatting with a young couple who were watching too when Joe happened to look up, saw us and waved, then gave the come on in wave and called over his tour man who came and opened the door and let us and the young couple in. We took our spot in line and when we came to the head, Joe said, "Rick and Helen from San Diego, how could I not say  hi to you after you came all the way here to see me." Well, knock me over with a feather! We are going to be looking in the glass at the meet tomorrow night too at the Des Moines Civic. Could lightning strike twice?  big_smile
Joe's a Prince!
Rick

That's incredible!  I imagine you were on cloud 9.

jddarden wrote:

Oldbill: Where did you sign up for a M&G in Columbia?

I emailed Tamara per the instructions in the sticky above.  I had tickets coming to me because I bought his handsome red guitar lithograph.  She emailed me back within a couple of hours stating I was good to go :banana:

Joe's the man Rick! What a great guy! I'll be crossing my fingers for you two smile

RickB wrote:

Joe's a Prince!
Rick

25 (edited by rubyjt 2014-04-18 09:25:08)

Holy crap....with a memory like that he must've breezed right through college.

I can't believe he let you in after talking to 90 people!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Berthold Auerbach

wvgirlinky wrote:

Great question that I wish I had asked prior to my meet and greet.
I too was afraid I would screw up.  Remember Joe has done this thousands of times so it will be ok.

Make sure you take something to have him sign.  I took the Liner notes( insert) from a couple of the tour de force dvd sets for him to sign.  He is really  very unassuming and kind of shy.

If you have a guitar for him to sign he will be very chatty.   In fact they came thru the line before the meet and greet started looking for any historic guitars.

We had a gift for him which he liked .  Gave him some liquor and some goofy socks that he actually wore later when he played. (Really cool for us)

As he was signing the liner notes for the TDF Royal Albert hall show we asked him about playing Gary Moore' s guitar.  He was very detailed in his response.  I think if you stick to music or guitars you can't go wrong.   He also likes to collect music related antiques etc.  Often tweets about items he has scored in his visits to pawn shops and guitar shops around the venues he plays.  Remember it only lasts a few minutes.

Take a camera to document the moment.  Clay his road/tour manager will be there to take the photo for you.   Best advice, just try to relax.  I was so nervous I literally can't remember all of it.  He is a great guy.   Kind of cool to meet him upclose and personal and then see him perform.  It's a total transformation.

One last thing, Be at the meet and greet location early or as close to  the time they give you.   Listen to Bob, the crew member that takes you to the Meet and Greet location.  He is very nice.  Remember Joe is on a schedule, he does sound check, meet and greet, dinner then the show.  A lot to pack into one night.  Hope this helps.    Can't wait to hear how it goes

How do you get a meet and greet

rubyjt wrote:

Rumor has it he thought it was Charleston Heston!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:
rubyjt wrote:

Rumor has it he thought it was Charleston Heston!

lol No lightning, He was late starting. I was watching though, and saw him check out a very nice black '57 Lester.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

I passed on the m/g since we'd already seen him several times and didn't want to take a new fan's chance.

Joe happened to look up, saw us, waved, gave the come on in wave and called over his tour man who came and opened the door and let us and the young couple in. Joe said, "Rick and Helen from San Diego, how could I not say hi to you after you came all the way here to see me." Well, knock me over with a feather!  big_smile
Joe's a Prince!

Awesome story Rick .. I'm sure ya'll were floored.

As I read thru all the JB encounters, two words come to mind ..

Pure Class!

Thanks for the story cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

RickB wrote:

Joe's a Prince!
Rick

Joe's memory astounds me.

On his first tour of Oz in 2010, I took my JBLP along to the M&G for him to sign.  I introduced myself, showed him my guitar which he played and signed, and also gave us a short tour of his stage rig, which was really cool.

In 2012, I got to get on the M&G again but didn't have anything for him to sign.  It was also a little more crowded and formal than the first M&G so I didn't introduce myself, but handed over my M&G pass for him to sign after a quick hello.  It wasn't until later when I get back to my hotel room when I realised that he signed the pass 'To Devan'... I was amazed...

https://flic.kr/p/dik6st

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Thanks for the stories everyone.  My first M&G is coming up at the Hampton Beach show and I have been racking my brain on what to have him sign.  I have issues of Classic Rock Magazine where he is on the cover but I figured I would have him sign a copy of the letter I had sent to his foundation.

There's too much significance in the letter to not ask him to scribble on it. A lot of things will come full circle for me if I can make it happen.

https://live365.com/station/a72706

5/16/14 Hampton Beach, NH (First Joe show!)
1/15/16 Burlington, VT

The last one I did (last Dec) had a limit of 2 items, so I'd take two. That was the first time I'd seen a limit. People must be getting out of hand with the stacks of crap to sign smile

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.