Re: Concert anxiety?

I know you don't need tips as you know yourself pretty well already, and you are going to be with friends but don't forget earplugs.
I don't mean necessarily for the music. I can on occasion be noise sensitive in crowded places. restaurants and the like. The steadily increasing rise in background noise (chatter and so on) can heighten the tension. Increased alchohol consumption can normally solve it for me but that shouldn't be the rule for everyone!
So sometime if the noise level at a function is starting to irritate I check out of conversations briefly and just take the edge off with my 'in ears'.
Never happens when I am performing or watching motor racing so it must be people and places related!

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

BansheeUK wrote:

Hi Jigsawearth,

I've been watching how this thread has developed and looks like the Bonamassa family is swinging in with great support; having some friends around will be sure to help reduce any anxiety you may feel. However, once Joe comes on and starts, odds are you'll barely notice time passing until he puts his guitar on the rest and waves goodnight.

If you do feel overwhelmed,  then step out, as you need to: it's your night out, enjoy.

Odds are, it won't be your only Joe gig, once hooked.....

Thanks, Banshee. Yeah, everyone who's chimed in here totally rocks! I feel like I'll be in very good company; even though I haven't met any of you yet, it eases my mind knowing that I'll be among friends. smile And I'm sure this will be the first concert of many, since he seems to make Iowa a regular stop. Thank you all again for all the support and encouragement. See you guys in a couple days!

21 (edited by rubyjt 2014-04-17 14:08:15)

Wow, not only is Joe a great guy but his fans are great too. I don't see this kind of caring on any board I"ve ever visited and I've seen many of them.

I suffer with a little claustrophobia myself so I feel your tension Jig. And Patty loves Joe sounds like a real sweetheart.......wow!

Good luck and try to take it one minute at a time.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Berthold Auerbach

22 (edited by Jigsawearth83 2014-04-21 16:52:26)

Ok, gang, time for an update! I put most of my impressions of the show in the Des Moines/Iowa Trifecta thread in the Show Reviews and Set Lists forum, but I wanted to let those of you who contributed to this thread know how I fared on Friday night (hint: mostly great!).  smile

As Patty mentioned, my guitar teacher Chris is one of the sweetest, mellowest guys around, so I felt pretty calm going into it, but it also helped to see when I got to the Civic Center that the seats had tons of leg room and were spaced out enough so that the theater felt very airy, not claustrophobic at all. On the other side of me was a mother and her 7-year-old daughter (so cute!) who apparently was the niece of the production manager. It was her fifth Joe concert! Starting 'em out young, lol! Anyway, I was happy to have a nice family next to me and not a drunken hooligan tongue (there were plenty of those in the row in front of me and closer to the center; they were quite chatty during some of Joe's quietest solo parts in John Henry and Django, which irked me a bit, but I just tried to tune them out).

Did employ my earplugs during part of the first set, as we were on the left side right near one of the huge speakers and it seemed pretty loud, but I did the electric set without, since the earplugs really muddied the sound and I wanted to hear everything as pristinely as possible. Also, since I knew the setlist in advance, I knew when I should step out if I needed to, and I did, as the volume and energy of the place were just making my bones rattle a bit. smile Nothing too bad, though. Went out to the bathroom, walked a bit, and just took a breather so I could go back in and hear a few of my favorites to close out the show. Didn't have a freakout moment til I walked back in, haha -- I was going to stand against the side wall until the song was over so I wouldn't walk in people's way, but I made the mistake of looking up toward the back of the theater and was like, "holy s**t! that's a ton of people!" and promptly went right back out into the hallway. Once I took another minute to chillax, I came back in just in time for the next song, and succeeded in tricking my mind into believing that it was just me and Joe and the eight rows of people in front of me there, so I felt like I was at an intimate venue rather than a stadium. wink Everything was fine from there on out; it was just a little more intense at the end since people were getting rowdier and I was getting more tired and my ears were probably a little tired too. But it was all well worth it. I met some of you kind folks, and I got to see Joe up close and personal, which I've wanted to do for so long. I'm glad I did it, and proud of myself for going and just honoring what I needed each step of the way. When's he coming back?? big_smile

That's awesome to hear!! Sounds like it wasn't all that bad after all smile Proud of you, girl!

edragoo wrote:

That's awesome to hear!! Sounds like it wasn't all that bad after all smile Proud of you, girl!

Thank you! big_smile Yeah, sometimes the buildup or nervous anticipation is worse than the reality! But it really helped to have everyone on here reassuring me that it was fine to get up or do whatever I needed. Joe was so incredible; I just feel fortunate to have been able to finally see him.

25 (edited by nmagcorn 2014-04-21 17:56:42)

It was so nice meeting you in Des Moines! Have to say, had I not read your posts on here I would never have known you were feeling the least bit anxious. I loved how you kept popping down to see us, you seemed so happy to be there and it was so nice to see. I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourself. And believe me, most of us here are usually basket cases before a show, the buildup of excitement makes a person feel ready to explode!

Jigsawearth83 wrote:

How I fared on Friday night (hint: mostly great!).  smile

I'm glad I did it, and proud of myself for going.
When's he coming back?? big_smile

Girl .. that is awesome!

U controlled each situation like a champ! ^5 (high five!) .. and I'm willin to bet ur cheeks will be sore for another week .. that silly grin ur still wearin eh .. lol

Glad to hear u had a wonderful experience .. and met some awesome folks while doin it.

Anxiety got shown the door .. u settled for exhilarating cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

I should have made the hike to Iowa again. It would have been fun.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

So glad you got to enjoy it and made such huge strides against that evil anxiety.   I too feel like Joe is playing just for me sometimes, just his music is so intimate at times.  Congrats and give yourself a huge pat on the back

Mary tongue

Thanks, guys! And Natasha, it totally helped to have you guys to come say hi to! Glad you enjoyed the visits. smile