Topic: Best Klon Centaur Clone???

This is something I have become very curious about as of late, any opinions on what the best Klon Centaur Clone is on the market?

Re: Best Klon Centaur Clone???

ARC Effects Klone seems to get a lot of love...I've never tried it. My hoarding personality paid off for me, as I have a silver Klon from back in the day. Tempted to sell it a time or two as the prices have gotten rediculous, but I know that I would regret it later. It is a pretty cool circuit (not a TS variant as some would try to argue). I did play a JHS Klone once...it was pretty close.

Periodically I would surf YouTube looking at Klon videos and I always felt like I could hear a VERY distinctive midrange characteristic in them but not the same mid sound I hear in a TS. Like just the right amount of raspiness.

I know pretty much nothing about Klons except for the dollar amount they command on the resale market. But I DO have a Mojo Hand Rook and I've heard people compare it to a Klon. I don't know, I just liked that it seemed to be able to deliver a TS sound with a little "oomph" and that's exactly what it can do amongst other smooth or bitey goodness.

I am very happy with my Fredric Effects Golden Eagle.

I recently came across a Youtube video where someone is pitching a Bad Monkey against a Klon Centaur. An unlikely contender but on the evidence of that video a worthy opponent. I also have a Bad Monkey but prefer the Golden Eagle.

I thought the Maxon OD820 is similar (at least in character): 9V to internal 18V and the mix Boost/OD function. Anyone compared these two?

you will probably get a lot of differing opinions about which is the closest clone and so forth.  Two things to make certain is that the gain knob in the clone of interest is a dual gang, and that the internal voltage is pumped up from 9 to 18V.  Those are some of the secret sauces, not all, but some, which make a klon a klon.  you will also want a buffered bypass, not true bypass.  True bypass klon clones sound like the flatulence of a half-man-half-horse creature.  I have been in touch with JMK pedals and as soon as I can sell another pedal I am going to order their "Custom Drive".  Small enclosure, reasonably priced, and the samples i heard sounded spot on.  If JHS was still making theirs, I would go JHS, but even those are being sold at near 300 USD, if not more as of late.  I nearly pulled the trigger on a Piedmont Aluminum Falcon II, but there were too many negatives online about issues with the electronics.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I saw a klon centaur vs fulltone fulldrive II MOSFET and the difference was not worth the extra $, so I'm sticking with my FDII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGMN7BWD6xE

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

yeah there will be a lot comparisons that will sound fairly similar.  i guess it is like what JB says about his amps setup; it may all sound very similar to the audience, but it is a different feel.  I can vouch for that, having played an original klon before.  it is a great overdrive, and it sits well in a mix, and cuts through just enough.  I guess a Fulldrive running at 18V will get you close to that sound, and it will be a more versatile pedal as it has more settings.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

Outside of the genuine thing the JHS klon klone is it. And yes the price is rising on them so grab one if you can find one.

RichardH wrote:

I am very happy with my Fredric Effects Golden Eagle.

I recently came across a Youtube video where someone is pitching a Bad Monkey against a Klon Centaur. An unlikely contender but on the evidence of that video a worthy opponent. I also have a Bad Monkey but prefer the Golden Eagle.

Golden Eagle seconded here.

Nik Huber Orca, Gibson Custom Shop Siberian Tiger Les Paul Standard, Haydn Williams Evo Pro, MusicMan JP15, Gibson Les Paul Bonamassa Studio, Fender Strat. Marshall 1987x, Bad Cat Black Cat, Mesa Boogie Mark V, Cornell Romany

Monsterpiece STUD, I have one and it's KILLER! Plus Richard is great to work with; I have 4 of his pedals!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRT6-b1YlQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s53LFSqDq08

Guitars: 1974 LP Custom, 2013 R8
Amps: '88 JCM 800 w/ TV cab, Tone King Falcon
Effects: Fulltone Clyde, Monsterpiece Stud, EP Booster, Strymon El Capistan

Try Pedal Projects. We have a bunch of Klons and his is the closest clone we can find. Its cheap too.