Topic: Redstone Room Show 09/09/07 Davenport,IA

Hey All,
    Just when you think Joe & Co. can't get any better,   THEY KICKED A** AT THIS SHOW!!!!
Lee, Renee, and I were blown away.  Joe was on fire.  Excellent sound system in this trendy place.  They had multiple big screens live of the show on the enitre length of one wall.  So you could watch Joe all over the place.  I heard Joe remark that he wished he could take that system with him on the road.  It was major cool.  Setlist same as Clear Lake, but 2nd Encore was.....drumroll please Bogie.....Ballpeen Hammer.  It rocked!!!!  The crowd was wild about Joe and there were alot of younger faces at this one.  And as usual, Joe was very gracious in meeting and greeting with everyone.  It was fun to see people so excited.  Had another great chat with Rick and Carmine.  They are quite the duo.  Bogie, missed you after, but after that KILLER drum solo, you probably needed a good icing down....yeah it was HOT!!  I paid special attention last night to how attentive Rick & Carmine are to Joe & Bogie.......being that all driving force and glue that sticks it all together so well.  Well, I had better sign off for now, but just wanted to give you a quick review of last night.  I wished everyone of you could have seen Joe.  He didn't hold back on anything and heard some new twists and turns in soloing.  Joe Bonamassa, you are THE MAN!!!!!!!!!  Thanks again a million times over.
                                               smile smile smile smile smile smile smile pattyluvsjoe smile smile smile smile

P.S.  Lee & Renee---thanks so much for the diet Cokes and heirloom tomatoes......tasty...it was me, Joe, and 2 diet Cokes cruising "west on 80"  and arrived home a little after 2 a.m.  I wouldn't have made it without it.  I loved rockin' out with you guys.....that Lee & Renee are some kind of Joe fans  (17-18 shows)   cool

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Re: Redstone Room Show 09/09/07 Davenport,IA

Hey Patty, great to hear another killer show by Joe and company. Ball Peen Hammer for an encore!  What a treat that must have been, that is an awesome song.  Lee and Renee are great folks, glad they took care of you.  A good sound system can make a big difference.

Music is good for the Soul...

Patty, how could it be anything but the best for you?! I hope the buzz will hold for awhile. You have great luck with Rick and Carmine..They usually seem to vanish after shows and not talk too much. Maybe the midwest has cured any shyness. You're welcome to come to Baltimore for the Nov. show.......Cathy

Patty,

That sounds like an awesome venue.  The big screens of the show must have been amazing.  Anyway, sounds like you all had a great time. Certainly, no surprise there. 

I love when Joe does the meet & greet after the show.  Joe and Bogie really are the nicest guys.  I haven't met  Rick or Carmine yet but I hope I get a chance to when they visit us here in central Florida. 

A whole 12 weeks until Joe plays Tampa and Orlando. Believe me, I am counting the days. 

Susan smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

David A. wrote:

Hey Patty, great to hear another killer show by Joe and company. Ball Peen Hammer for an encore!  What a treat that must have been, that is an awesome song.  Lee and Renee are great folks, glad they took care of you.  A good sound system can make a big difference.

I was sitting next to the people who bought the sound system for the room....a mere $80,000.00 he proudly told me. (gulp)

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

6 (edited by suhl 2007-09-10 21:12:17)

I was also at this show.  only part i disagree on is the opening act.  ill say this.  go see him and form your own opinion on him, but i wont be getting to the future shows later, not worth getting there early for my tastes, though many people seemed to enjoy him.  i liked the last song of his set a lot, the rest was so so to me.  movin on.  spot on review there, no other way to put it really, they kicked ****.  this was the first full joe show i have seen, but also the best.  this was a great venue to see him in.  we were about thirty feet from the stage, this was easily the most enthused crowd i have ever seen at any of his live shows, and the sound was phenomenal.  set list was exact same as he has been doing, which would disappoint me a little(though not nearly enough take anything away from the great time i had) but since i hadnt seen the first half i was actually grateful for this.  now i can say I have seen so many roads played live.  WOW.  I heard this on some of the live torrents, and all i can tell you is though the torrents actually do do as much justice as you possibly can to capturing a live song (ie a good recording of mountain time) so many roads MUST be witnessed first hand.  He just rips it up on that song.  Love love love the chugging riff, the soloing is different in concert, less in the intro, more in the middle and different throughout from the studio version.  Seeing mountain time live is always good.  of all his songs i think that one changes the most noticeably from show to show, i have heard about 5-6 different live versions of the song and they are always unique.  what feeling in that one, a great live one.  and i know i already talked about woke up dreaming in the last review, but enough good cant be said about it.  The song is a marathon and you can see the expressions of awe on the faces of all who are seeing it live for the first time.  how the hell doesnt he break a string on that one anyway!?  i like to imagine what it would be like if he walked into an open mic night in some town and just played that.  also, i shouldnt say the setlist was the exact same as indy due to the special encore at indy, so here i can add more to the review.  asking around for you live is good, particularly the soloing, but i have to be honest, it is the only song he does where i actually prefer the studio recording to the live.    ball peen hammer live was terriffic, gotta see it.  only thing i wish is that he would play longer, but like i said the guy really fills out a little over an hour and a half with more music than anyone else going today (that i am aware of that is). 

one more thing, after the show, we went back around to the bus and were able to meet joe.  what a class act.  he was obviously in a hurry to get back inside, where i guess he did a meet and greet with the crowd, but i am honestly kind of glad we didnt know about that and were able to meet him alone.  it was so funny, we walked back around to where the bus was, which was actually on the way to our car, but we were planning on going to the bus anyway, and we see this guy looking like a mechanic drinking some red wine.  then it hits us, oh yeah, joe was wearing a workshirt during the latter part of the show.  so my brother starts yelling joe joe and we go up to him, he turns and smiles and shakes are hands.  of course no one plans what to say in a situation like this, but the best part was it was clear joe actually listened to what we said.  we told him we had seen him in indianapolis too and how cool it was to see one of the only live performances of tea for one, and he talked about doug for a second, and i told him how impressed i was with dougs vocals.  really nothing profound, but just writing about it puts a smile on my face.  so funny to see him drinking that red wine.  what a multi layered guy.

ps, hope the set list has some minor changes coming back thorugh the midwest by the chicago dates, i and any other midwesterner who go to multiple shows of yours will be eternally grateful.

pss
seems i cant go to see joe without something going wrong.  though i was actually able to get to this one before the show started, i had the pleasure of having a tire explode on the highway on the way back.  then the jack had a missing part so we had to call the police as people are understandably hesitant about stopping for people pulled over past midnight on a sunday.  so didnt get home till past two in the morning and had to be at class at 9.  completely worth it though.  have a good one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

I've got to agree with Patty and suhl. I've seen Joe about 17 times now and that show was something special. One of those nights where Joe was totally "in the zone". I think the fact that it was a small room with a very responsive audience had a lot to do with it. It's a nice venue with a gret sound system. The only downside was the lighting. They need to work on that a little bit. Both Carmine and Rick commented after the show how poorly lit the stage was for them. For Joe it was just OK.
About Crosby Loggins. A lot of Joe's fans may find him a bit too mellow, but he's got a lot of talent as a performer and a songwriter. He sings with a lot of conviction. I for one really like his stuff just like I appreciate Joe's mellower side. He's a really great guy with a bright future. Kudos to Joe for giving him the opportunity!
As for Joe's set, I thought "Django" was the best I've witnessed. By that part of the show I think Joe knew he was on and he was making that Strat just wail! And the great sound made Carmine's and Rick's contributions that much more powerful. "Just Got Paid" was also top notch. We heard them play "Ball Peen Hammer" during sound check so I had a feeling they were going to get to it. Thankfully, they did.
Thanks Joe for the awesome run of shows we witnessed. I don't know how, but you just get better and better.
Thanks again to Carmine and Rick for hanging out a little bit with us after the show. You guys are great!
Thanks (a) Million for the tickets! I'm glad we were able to work it out. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet in Chicago.
Last, but not least, thanks Patty for your kind words and infectious enthusiasm. You made the shows in Iowa that much more fun for me and Renee. Glad you made it home safe and I can't wait to do it all over again! Have a great time in Tulsa!

I really wanted to see this show,  but had to work.    Thats one thing i noticed to the rockford show,  he didnt do the shirt signing at the end like he always does.  But I also play guitar and from experience  my hand is so cramped after playing for a couple hours that i can barely hold a pick.  I got to shake his hand at the mississippi valley blues fest on july 2nd 05  and thats exactly how his hand was.   he seems like a very personable guy.  Id love to have a chance to sit down and talk with him for a while if the situation ever arose.