Topic: Surf Ballroom show 9-8-07

Wow, what a show.  Joe was really on fire tonight and I even said just Wow out loud during Woke Up Dreaming when he did something that I'd never seen before or thought could be done.  I can't describe what it was, except that it was blazing and melodic and cool, and different than the other times I've heard the song (and it's pretty awesome without it, too, lol).  So Many Roads is really awesome and a welcome addition to the set.  Of course Sloe Gin is the bomb.  Bogie's solo in Just Got Paid was really great and it seemed like all the guys were really on and having fun.  After JGP and before the encore the crowd was chanting, "We want Joe" over and over and when Rick came out first for Asking Around, he said "and Joe wants you."  All in all a very memorable and enjoyable evening.  Safe travels and happy touring to Joe, the band and crew.  And we want you back in Clear Lake!

Setlist:

Bridge
Walk in My Shadows
So Many Roads (monumental!)
Mountain Time
Another Kind of Love
Sloe Gin (oh yeah, baby!)
High Water Everywhere (the best I've ever heard it)
If Heartaches Were Nickels
Woke Up Dreaming (also the best I've heard)
Django
Just Got Paid

Encore:
Asking Around
Los Endos.

2 (edited by Rocket 2007-09-09 01:50:50)

Re: Surf Ballroom show 9-8-07

Excelente!  More, more, more! But there was no Another Kind Of Love follow-up to Sloe Gin in the set??? Rick gets to solo on it...
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

3 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2007-09-09 10:11:42)

Ditto to what the dude said.  It WAS a perfect evening.  I don't know how many people were there, but I know there was alot more than the last time.  My friends Angela & Sarah had a wonderful time.   Angela's "Bona baptism" and she now gets" it."  I did see her jaw-drop watching Joe.  She was thrilled with what she heard and saw.  She's now a Joe-junkie. And as Sarah so sweetly put it, "You just can't help but love them all."   Lee & Renee, I just love you guys.  What "true blue" Joe die-hard fans you are.  And I am way happy that you will be at The Redstone Room tonight, too!!  I hope everyone gets a chance someday to meet them.  They are really fine people.

Mr. Crosby Loggins.....take a bow!  What a wonderful young man he is.  We really enjoyed talking with him before and after the show.  Awesome guitar and vocals!!!  Am looking forward to seeing you again tonight.  It was all definitely "thumbs-up"

Before show started a kind lady from The Surf came up with a bag of cottonballs and said"Now girls I think this is going to be quite loud.  Would you like a cottonball or two?"
How quaint!  (We declined.)

Joe looked & sounded fantastic!!!  YES, he looked fantastic!  (Just had to say that twice)  Way to go Joe!! cool  What a sound....WOW, what a powerhouse of sound!  I didn't see any steam coming off of Joe, but I saw the vibration thing again.  It's other-worldy.  What a true gem of a person he is and his talent....there is NO comparing him with anyone else.....Joe stands in front, at the top, in a league, ALL HIS VERY OWN.  What a kind-hearted gentle-man we get to love and be friends with.  Joe's personality and look at life is unique....a very special gift.                   God did break the mold after he made Joe.

Mr. Bogie "Cap" Bowles...now here's a fun guy!!  I get the biggest kick out of talking with him and love hearing him talk.  He's that friend you just love to see!!  And yes, awesome solo and drumming.  The BEST!   Bogie, if you read this, Bobby said to tell you "thanks" and he's been carrying that stick around looking at it all morning.  tap-tap-tap

Carmine, works a lot of magic with that bass......  really enjoyed talking and listening.......he was talking about how they all gel together on and off stage.......the respect he has for others is immense....and a great sense of humor...it was a delight !!  I wish I had a camera for the look on his face when he said, "I'll see you guys again sometime." and Lee,Renee,and I chimed in unison"Tomorrow night!"

Rick, now here is a kind gentle soul with a sparkle for life.  There is more to this soul than meets the eye.  There is an undescribable goodness and depth.  Adds a wonderful dimension to the music....completeness.........

Aaron, what a hard-workin guy, always a pleasure to talk with and a great sense of humor.  Someone you can count on.  Dave, this guy never stops moving long enough to talk to....still would love to hear him play the guitar.  Jay, I didn't meet  but saw  hustling & bustling around.   Maybe can catch him for a little bit tonight.     I hope the bus driver didn't get a belly-ache from eating the jelly rolls!!

Well, have gone on here for quite some time and still just can't say enough good things about the show and the people who make it all happen for us.

It seems to simple to say.....thanks for a WONDERFUL evening...........

pattyluvsjoe  wink

P.S.  You should have seen Joe pucker when he took a swig off the Sloe Gin bottle.
        PRICELESS !!

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

4 (edited by Barbara 2007-09-09 10:49:28)

Awesome reviews the dude and Patty.  Sounds like it was an absolutely perfect show last night and Patty you get to see Joe, Bogie, Carmine and Rick again tonight.........  That is what I would call one sweet Bonamassa filled weekend with his rockin' blues.  NICE!!!  Thanks for sharing.

....Barbara

5 (edited by Shredit 2007-09-09 10:58:24)

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Ditto to what the dude said.  It WAS a perfect evening.  I don't know how many people were there, but I know there was alot more than the last time.  My friends Angela & Sarah had a wonderful time.   Angela's "Bona baptism" and she now gets" it."  I did see her jaw-drop watching Joe.  She was thrilled with what she heard and saw.  She's now a Joe-junkie. And as Sarah so sweetly put it, "You just can't help but love them all."   Lee & Renee, I just love you guys.  What "true blue" Joe die-hard fans you are.  And I am way happy that you will be at The Redstone Room tonight, too!!  I hope everyone gets a chance someday to meet them.  They are really fine people.

Mr. Crosby Loggins.....take a bow!  What a wonderful young man he is.  We really enjoyed talking with him before and after the show.  Awesome guitar and vocals!!!  Am looking forward to seeing you again tonight.  It was all definitely "thumbs-up"

Before show started a kind lady from The Surf came up with a bag of cottonballs and said"Now girls I think this is going to be quite loud.  Would you like a cottonball or two?"

Joe looked & sounded fantastic!!!  YES, he looked fantastic!  (Just had to say that twice)  Way to go Joe!! cool  What a sound....WOW, what a powerhouse of sound!  I didn't see any steam coming off of Joe, but I saw the vibration thing again.  It's other-worldy.  What a true gem of a person he is and his talent....there is NO comparing him with anyone else.....Joe stands in front, at the top, in a league, ALL HIS VERY OWN.  What a kind-hearted gentle-man we get to love and be friends with.  Joe's personality and look at life is unique....a very special gift.                   God did break the mold after he made Joe.

Mr. Bogie "Cap" Bowles...now here's a fun guy!!  I get the biggest kick out of talking with him and love hearing him talk.  He's that friend you just love to see!!  And yes, awesome solo and drumming.  The BEST!   Bogie, if you read this, Bobby said to tell you "thanks" and he's been carrying that stick around looking at it all morning.  tap-tap-tap

Carmine, works a lot of magic with that bass......  really enjoyed talking and listening.......he was talking about how they all gel together on and off stage.......the respect he has for others is immense....and a great sense of humor...it was a delight !!  I wish I had a camera for the look on his face when he said, "I'll see you guys again sometime." and Lee,Renee,and I chimed in unison"Tomorrow night!"

Rick, now here is a kind gentle soul with a sparkle for life.  There is more to this soul than meets the eye.  There is an undescribable goodness and depth.  Adds a wonderful dimension to the music....completeness.........

Aaron, what a hard-workin guy, always a pleasure to talk with and a great sense of humor.  Someone you can count on.  Dave, this guy never stops moving long enough to talk to....still would love to hear him play the guitar.  Jay, I didn't meet  but saw  hustling & bustling around.   Maybe can catch him for a little bit tonight.     I hope the bus driver didn't get a belly-ache from eating the jelly rolls!!

Well, have gone on here for quite some time and still just can't say enough good things about the show and the people who make it all happen for us.

It seems to simple to say.....thanks for a WONDERFUL evening...........

pattyluvsjoe  wink

P.S.  You should have seen Joe pucker when he took a swig off the Sloe Gin bottle.
        PRICELESS !!

Patty nice review, Joe is the best around, no doubt bout that. Look for an e-mail, I'm sending it to the forum peeps I stay in contact with.

Shred

Patti and everyone..What a great time you must have had AND Rick spoke!!!! Must be some kind of magic! They are true gentlemen. I don't know how you all are going to handle life after 2 shows in a row. Joe diets suck!!!!!!!  Cathy

7 (edited by Rocket 2007-09-10 01:02:07)

Great to hear the great time great friends and great talents had on a great night in a great land for a great price and how the great reviews of the dude & especially Patty's Pure Prairie Party (nicely done but I confess I did miss the smiley pies & Platitudes lol ) greatly carried on in all respects...Sounds like a great, great pleasure, a great, great, great big thrill that is NOT gone when the bus rolls on down the great highway into the great wide open onward a great distance to the next great town & the next great show...But I digress to the question I previously asked...was there really no Another Kind Of Love in the set??? I greatly missed those jelly rolls cuz like Joe mine are thinning out too and..."I'm you're jelly roll man, I've got to have it right now"!!! 

Rock On O Great One(s) & Keep Your Faith Great,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

AQUALUNG Rules .

<G>
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”  Theodore Roosevelt

Rocket wrote:

Great to hear the great time great friends and great talents had on a great night in a great land for a great price and how the great reviews of the dude & especially Patty's Pure Prairie Party (nicely done but I confess I did miss the smiley pies & Platitudes lol ) greatly carried on in all respects...Sounds like a great, great pleasure, a great, great, great big thrill that is NOT gone when the bus rolls on down the great highway into the great wide open onward a great distance to the next great town & the next great show...But I digress to the question I previously asked...was there really no Another Kind Of Love in the set??? I greatly missed those jelly rolls cuz like Joe mine are thinning out too and..."I'm you're jelly roll man, I've got to have it right now"!!! 

Rocket

Hey Rocketman, Another Kind of Love was before Sloe Gin:) smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile
                                                       Patty

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

LOL! 

Great reviews by thedude and pattyluvsjoe.  A great time was certainly had by all.

11 (edited by Rocket 2007-09-10 12:55:22)

I see it is in the original post, but I swear it wasn't...may as well swear at myself mad oh well lol I sound like Eeyore, but thanks for noticing I'm not noticing your words, dude! Sorry dude! (whistling....:rolleyes: )Thanks Patty

pattyluvsjoe wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

Hey Rocketman, Another Kind of Love was before Sloe Gin:) smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile
                                                       Patty

What a blast! Great show at a cool and historic venue. It's too bad the guy running the spotlight wasn't paying very close attention to Joe during the intro to "Mountain Time" and certain parts of "Woke Up Dreaming". Other than that it was a pretty flawless show.
Got to enjoy it with Patty and her friends Sarah and Angela. What a fun group of gals! I wish everyone could have seen the phenomenal care package and gifts that Patty brought for the band and the crew. My favorite was the bottle of sloe gin that she decorated with cutouts from a 'Sloe Gin" poster. It was great! And the looks on Joe's and Carmine's faces after a little sip from the bottle were priceless! And the jelly rolls - real jelly rolls. How funny is that! All I can say about Patty is that she is the kind of fan that every artist would love to have and the kind of person that anyone would want as a friend. Patty - you ROCK!!!
It was our first chance to really meet Carmine and what a super guy! He even took us backstage for a little peek in the "green" room (white actually) where so many great artists have left their signature on the walls and ceiling. That was really special. Thanks Carmine!
Got lots of photos to share in time. I'll be sure to include some photos of Patty's care package as well.

Must be a relative, perhaps cross-eyed Mary

Lee wrote:

What a blast! Great show at a cool and historic venue. It's too bad the guy running the spotlight wasn't paying very close attention.....

14 (edited by DAFFYDRUNK 2007-09-11 09:47:36)

I thought the Surf show was great. I'm a newbie fan. Got the Vintage Guitar magazine from a client and I spend alot of time in CL, so I noticed Joe was playing at the Surf. Listened to everything on this web site and thought, "wow, I gotta check this out". Joe's one of those guitar players that guitar players love to watch in awe. Makes you wanna play your guitar more. Can't wait to see another show, and buy more CDs. (got the new one so far)

Anyway, my gf had the idea of getting the whole band to sign the Vintage Guitar Magazine cover, and they were all very gracious to us half drunkards. Carmine was probably the one I talked to most and seemed really cool. Was kinda leary about approaching Joe to get the thing signed cause I didn't wanna annoy him, but he didn't seem to mind at all. He was already hanging out by the tour bus and talking to several other fans. Even had to sign the thing twice since our Sharpie crapped out.

DAFFYDRUNK wrote:

I thought the Surf show was great. I'm a newbie fan. Got the Vintage Guitar magazine from a client and I spend alot of time in CL, so I noticed Joe was playing at the Surf. Listened to everything on this web site and thought, "wow, I gotta check this out". Joe's one of those guitar players that guitar players love to watch in awe. Makes you wanna play your guitar more. Can't wait to see another show, and buy more CDs. (got the new one so far)

Anyway, my gf had the idea of getting the whole band to sign the Vintage Guitar Magazine cover, and they were all very gracious to us half drunkards. Carmine was probably the one I talked to most and seemed really cool. Was kinda leary about approaching Joe to get the thing signed cause I didn't wanna annoy him, but he didn't seem to mind at all. He was already hanging out by the tour bus and talking to several other fans. Even had to sign the thing twice since our Sharpie crapped out.

Welcome to forum Daffy...  Glad you guys got to see the show and meet Joe, he is the real deal...  Be sure and pick up his DVD's too, they will help the in between live shows blues!

Music is good for the Soul...

A new member and figures out how to edit replies in one day, took me many moons....amazing what one can do after the hangover wears off...Welcome Daffydrunk, if you are a new member and not an old cloning themself,  eh nevermind...You are new welcome, lots of people who KNOW what YOU are talking about are here and are we ever loaded...with information and experiences, that is, not just drunk!  Here, take a swig offa this here cheepy sloe gin it's loaded with backwash, but uhmm uhhmm mmmm  mmm...
Rocket

David A. wrote:
DAFFYDRUNK wrote:

Welcome to forum Daffy...  Glad you guys got to see the show and meet Joe, he is the real deal...  Be sure and pick up his DVD's too, they will help the in between live shows blues!

Thanx for the welcome everyone. Yes, a newbie on the site, but been hanging on various automotive related websites for years so I'm up on the message board thing.. Had to do an edit because I used the expression "bad-a$$", and it did the ****.  Oopsy.

Anyway, listening to the new CD and I think I dig "Black Night" the best so far. I found myself throwing on some Eric Johnson to compare for some reason. I think it's when Joe is soloing; it's the "going off" type lagato passages? Dig it. Joe has an Instructional DVD? Thought that sounded like something to check out. Been kinda bored with my guitars lately. Maybe if I had 190 of them? Wow. Can you imagine that?

18 (edited by Rocket 2007-09-11 23:17:47)

I thought the same on the soloing re: Eric Johnson myself daffy...it only last a few bars tho...given that Joe has an amp that (at last note on here by Joe about amps he is enjoying) is in Eric's possession, I'd say it may be that Carol-Ann he was talking about that is actually used on the Black Night recording.  Someone ask him.

Rcoket

DAFFYDRUNK wrote:

Thanx for the welcome everyone. Yes, a newbie on the site, but been hanging on various automotive related websites for years so I'm up on the message board thing.. Had to do an edit because I used the expression "bad-a$$", and it did the ****.  Oopsy.

Anyway, listening to the new CD and I think I dig "Black Night" the best so far. I found myself throwing on some Eric Johnson to compare for some reason. I think it's when Joe is soloing; it's the "going off" type lagato passages? Dig it. Joe has an Instructional DVD? Thought that sounded like something to check out. Been kinda bored with my guitars lately. Maybe if I had 190 of them? Wow. Can you imagine that?