Topic: Help on 2x12 with Vintage 30

Hi everybody!

This friday I bought an used Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb. I was testing it, and it sounded great, it's got a lot of dynamics en the lead channel can get very rude, yet so clean.

Now, I do not have a cabinet right now, so I'm going to buy one (duh..). I don't want to buy a very expensive cabinet, but I do want one with good speakers. Now, from the guy who I bought in from (and where I have test it) said his favourites where the Vintage 30's. I know that the guitarist of Rascal Flatts (Joe Don Rooney) uses Vintage 30's as speakers. So I found this:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Anyone has experience with these? Would this be a good deal?

Rick

I don't charge for mistakes. - Joe Bonamassa

Re: Help on 2x12 with Vintage 30

Rick49 wrote:

Hi everybody!

This friday I bought an used Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb. I was testing it, and it sounded great, it's got a lot of dynamics en the lead channel can get very rude, yet so clean.

Now, I do not have a cabinet right now, so I'm going to buy one (duh..). I don't want to buy a very expensive cabinet, but I do want one with good speakers. Now, from the guy who I bought in from (and where I have test it) said his favourites where the Vintage 30's. I know that the guitarist of Rascal Flatts (Joe Don Rooney) uses Vintage 30's as speakers. So I found this:

As far as speaker, Vintage 30's are a very popular choice but they are a bit bright.  It all depends on what type of sound you're ultimately going for.  Some speakers sound better with a particular head than another head.  Marshalls can be shrill, but people still like the combo of a jcm 800/900 and V30s.  I think they are better sounding that the gt12 75's. -S

Rick

helrazr84 wrote:
Rick49 wrote:

Hi everybody!

As far as speaker, Vintage 30's are a very popular choice but they are a bit bright.  It all depends on what type of sound you're ultimately going for.  Some speakers sound better with a particular head than another head.  Marshalls can be shrill, but people still like the combo of a jcm 800/900 and V30s.  I think they are better sounding that the gt12 75's. -S

Rick

The only thing that stops me from buying that thing is that it is in Germany. I live in The Netherlands so if I don't like it, it isn't as fast back as it came to me (30 day Money Back) so.....

I don't charge for mistakes. - Joe Bonamassa

Well a money back guarantee is good, even if it takes longer to get your money back.  At least you get it back!  If you already tested it with one the previous owners cab and liked it, then I'd go for it and order the cab.  -S

V30's have a storied history, but I'm not sure I like them for my taste.

I had a Peavey 5150 4x12 with Sheffield speakers in it, and I miss that cab everyday.
I then had a Marshall 1960A cab with G-12 75s, and it was just "ok" for me.
My current Rivera 4x12 has old V30's in it, and they're good but there's aspects of them I don't like.

Part of my wants to save up for EVM 12'L Classics.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Geezer Sound Company

www.geezersoundco.com   makes an amazing 2 x 12 cab loaded with anything you want.  I believe he still has the 2 x 12 cab w vintage 30's that he loaned me for a couple of springsteen shows available.  His cabs sound great.  His design is unique in that they are deeper than most 2 x 12's and little less tall.  They sound huge ...as big as most 4 x 12's ive played and yet are more compact.  Customer service is great.  Give Dave a call.

I have a Mesa TransAtlantic TA-15.  I was running it through my Budda Superdrive 18 speaker for a couple of weeks and thought it was dark sounding.  I picked up an Avatar 1X12 and put a Vintage 30 in it to brighten the sound a bit and am very pleased w/ the sound.

Yeah I always thought V30's would go good with darker sounding amps.  You can always take the Joe B approch and get EV12L speakers.  That may be over kill and you may find that that amp sounds better when the speakers color the sound a little.