1 (edited by Rocket 2008-09-14 17:56:46)

Topic: Introducing Joe Bonamassa & Live From Nowhere in Particular Disc 1

I am wonderful.  I am great.  I am here.  Three 3 word sentences you’ll likely never hear Joe Bonamassa parse together.  But I’m here to tell you, Joe Bonamassa IS wonderful.  Joe Bonamassa IS great.  And, just in case you have not heard, Joe Bonamassa is HERE!  The declaration is made just through the musical languages of his thoroughly amazing guitars and evocative, highly emotive singing.  The proof is in the putting together a very tasteful treatise served up hot on a double CD.  Coming to you Live from Utica, New York…Ooops! Wait. Wait! It’s Joe Bonamassa “Live From Nowhere In Particular”!
Wherever there actually was. It doesn’t really matter either.   Those who attended any U.S.A. Fall 2007 Joe Bonamassa concert already knows where “in particular” is.  It was wherever they were.  Even Europeans who attended the preceding summer shows were there.  Rather than being warm-up shows, those were the perfecting stages, as it were.  So Europe, you were there (http://houseofrockinterviews.blogspot.com/2008/09/conversation-from-nowhere-in-particular.html-Germany makes one cut!) .  You & Me, we were there.  Unless of course you weren’t there and missed it all…

WHAT you missed was wonderful.  What you missed was GREAT.  What you missed is HERE!  This marks a special time in Joe Bonamassa’s career. It’s breakout time.  Not a breakout of chains. Not a breakout of a slump.  Not a breakout of the box of conventional thinking.  Bonamassa’s never been unwilling to buck convention. Hence releasing yet another recorded live concert.  Not during a down sliding career, not to fulfill any contractual obligation, nor due to any drought of material or direction.  This is actually his third, and ironically his first without video.  The emphasis is now purely on the music of the man, not video with music demonstrating, in gut punch fashion, an answer to “Who is this Bonamassa guy”?  Recorded as he had just turned in his first 30 years of living, Joe seems to be releasing far more than 30 years of life to us here.  It’s almost as if
Joe Bonamassa is breaking out of the cocoon.  Time to breakout, spread those wings and fly.

So you’ve never heard of Joe Bonamassa before?  Well, take a good listen.
The debate which used to take place over where to start amongst his seven preceding achievements is no longer relevant.   
Start here, at the great number eight. Trust me, you’ll definitely want to back track when you start here.

Long standing fans will tell you-truthfully, this is how it sounds, how it is to be “there”. 
I’ll also tell you-truthfully, it’s not as complete as bearing actual witness “there”.  Joe Bonamassa must be seen live both to be believed and to be fully appreciated.  Here’s the rub: His music truly satisfies equally well whether a studio or stage recording!  Which led to a dilemma.  In the final stages of post-production, producer Kevin Shirley had essentially muted the audience members to keep superfluous, incongruous noises from the end product.  Obviously to focus on the music.  Yet it sounded too sterile, likely too good.  And that is a reflection on the musical abilities of Joe & his band mates.  Much attention is given Shirley, rightfully so.  But what a dream task to glean material from  the working palettes of such talented individuals, including the outstanding  crew of Jay Phebus (FOH Engineer), Dave Pate (Guitar Tech), Aaron Lakner (Drum Tech & Monitor Engineer). Outstanding to the point it may have been surmised that someone who had never listened to any Joe Bonamassa  recordings before might have  a difficult time imagining that the material could be recorded  so well and actually be performed in front of live audiences.  But it was.  So, it was given the meticulous work over once again, and the results are phenomenal.  It’s live, and now your experience listening to it, whether in your living room, automobile, or on your mobile music device, puts you as close to being there as possible.

Let’s queue these discs featuring Joe Bonamassa (guitars & vocals), Rick Melick (keyboards), Bogie Bowles (drums) & Carmine Rojas (bass) up & explore.

Things open up with first a twitch from a theremin, then keys and the rhythm section.  Finally, a short ding on triangle is the signal to turn on the chunky power chords of Bridge To Better Days, a slick salvo that’s a testy testament to Joe Bonamassa’s  rock solid chops.  It’s a Bonamassa original and yet within that context he is sounding like he’s Eric Clapton (while in Cream) & Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and himself all at once.  It even progresses as ZZ Top might perform it, granted with a keyboard, but that fills in nicely where Pat Thrall’s second guitar from the You & Me cut left some openings.

Moving along into Walk In My Shadows, the Free song that’s been in his repertoire for years now and was revamped from his original A New Day Yesterday and A New Day Yesterday Live barreling down on you like a bullet train versions to an evolution, which began in about 2006, reminiscent of a winding, chugging, cruising ride with more stops, starts, twists and turns.  All at less than half speed and a reduction in guitar solo notes by a factor of perhaps fourscore.  Here its treatment is accentuated by Carmine Rojas’ bass inflected funky bluesy bounce. It remains a perennial crowd favorite that invites young and old to march along in Joe Bonamassa’s shadow. 

The third track is the haunting, swelling slow cooker by Paul Marshall, So Many Roads. Like several following arrangements, especially the upcoming Mountain Time, it seems to have a life of its own, a physical movement enmeshed within the musical movement, much like some classical music compositions.  With a resonating vocal and a blistering solo this one builds anticipation& delivers excitement at the same time.  Compared to the studio version, the guitar solo is cut from two to being combined into one, and the effect is dramatic onstage.

Jaunting into India/Mountain Time, I find live India sounds less like a sitar influenced guitar, as it was done acoustically on “Sloe Gin ”.  Here it’s more like an electrified snake charmers pipe coming from his Gigliotti guitar.  Talk about versatility! This segues into Mountain Time which constitutes another totally rearranged tune, written by Joe Bonamassa with his life long friend Will Jennings’ wonderful spellbinding lyrics.  The combination with the evocative vocals Bonamassa can forcefully or subtly deliver moves one alliteratively and seemingly literally with the physical movement within the musical movement feeling I described, up a mountain until seven  minutes later we hear the last “yeeeeaaaahhhhh”, punctuated by a short,  sweet “Hah”!  The airy summit has been reached and the excitement of getting there, which has alluded (musically and lyrically) to an emotional seeking of a destiny of undeniable good, is now felt as pure joy to be “there”.

Next, yet another in the travel section of the set list (crossing bridges, walking in shadows, riding down roads and on trains).  Now we get lost in Another Kinda Love, which continues to grow on me The first time I heard this live I thought each musician went meandering in their own little world.  I was not able to get the house mixing board perspective, which at a distance further away from the stage comes across perfect.  This is actually how it sounded.  . Rick Melick turns in a great piano solo and Bowles drumming here is, as it was on So Many Roads, top notch.  But he, and indeed the entire group will only outdo themselves on our next stop…After getting lost we have a Tim Curry song about a character ending up dying on a city sidewalk drinking Sloe Gin attempting and failing to ease away grief and pain and loneliness, but possibly actually succeeding by passing away unnoticed until it is too late, or in the best possible spin, nearly so.  Here you will find not so much an attempt at recreating the fantastic guitar solo of the studio version Sloe Gin, but a scathing, visceral, solo that Joe Bonamassa conjures up from somewhere deep in the Deep blue C (chord transitions) of loneliness transposed, even when one listens between the notes, into an audible oracle on a personal crisis becoming a self-fulfilling demise.

Last but not least side one takes the musical journey full circle with  the  crunchy, very distorted guitar and undulating power rhythm of One Of These Days.   Rick Melick shakes a tambourine to simulate the chain-gang bound drudgery, which came about by accident on the Sloe Gin album when Anton Fig dropped his bag of percussion goodies and a microphone captured it and it was sampled into the song.  Imagery builds to the, burden-laden, slogging along while daydreaming protagonist’s vision or actual release via his woman’s reconciliation.  The beautiful slide and piano outro uses Bonamassa’s and Melick’s imagery to drift this side trip back to track one and that bridge to better days. 

FLIPPING OVER TO DISC 2

TO BE CONTINUED....

In the meantime, of course,
Rock On & Keep the Faith & Spread the word

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: Introducing Joe Bonamassa & Live From Nowhere in Particular Disc 1

Rocket ..... That was Fantastic , The best review i've read of the album anywhere ( truthfully ) , Outstanding use of words which conjurs up the feel and intensity of the guys on this awesome release . Looking forward to Pt 2  , really good read Buddy

.............................. Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Hi Rocket i agree with Michael the most im able to understand from your review...today i have get my copy of Live From Nowhere in Particular ..thank you Eva it has arrived and at this point
thanks Andre for the little feat CD but i have to disepoint you ......This weekend i live nowhere in paticular.......Thanks Joe ,Rick, Carmine ,Bogie

Ps:  Joe is KING !!!

4 (edited by Geko 2008-09-12 17:06:45)

Thats realy guitar (playing he plays i dont know how to discribe) ............what a feeling
sometimes i think the guitar by it self dont know how and wonders

5 (edited by Rocket 2008-09-14 17:58:14)

FLIPPING OVER TO DISC 2.........

Moving on to disc two, which starts off with Ball Peen Hammer, Chris Whitley’s modern day psalm of impending judgment against injustice and unrighteousness.  This could be one of Joe’s strongest interpretations.  Here the guitar portion is only acoustical (not the combined acoustic and electric Led Zeppelinesque heavy found on Sloe Gin), with Bonamassa picking his 12 string straightaway with dramatic lucidity while the rest of the band thematically layers upon the gripping vocal quasi-operatic voicings and rhythmic crescendos. This song makes you feel the urge, indeed the need  to sing along the refrain (and you can hear the crowd do so toward the end wink) “I can’t stand it! I can’t stand it! I can’t wait to see them walls falling down!”  It comes complete with, accidentally or not, a Three Blind Mice (yes, see how they run) coda. 

If Heartaches Were Nickels had been absent from concerts for several years.  Here it surfaces once again, although not in the original Joe Bonamassa version with its “my guitar cries for me too” vengeance.  This time, it defies genre and could be called neo-classical blues.  There’s a two-fold nod to The Beatles’ Abbey Road.  First (and perhaps unintentional) the subtle, classical inference comes from a resemblance to Because, which was inspired by a request of John Lennon to play some classical chords backwards, and the blatant She’s So Heavy riff.  Rick Melick’s dirge on keyboards and the morose vocal distill down to a terribly sad lamentation as Warren Haynes intended I’m sure.

Woke Up Dreaming “I was gonna die”.  May as well have some fun indeed then.  If you want to hear this short and sweet, minus sweat, listen to the Blues Deluxe version.  In concert, it still has an emotional impact lyrically, but Joe always rushes them to keep tempo with his blazingly fast acoustical guitar pickings.  Take note, he’s not playing to the crowd at ????? (Budokan) by singing in Japanese as he splays out the second group of lyrical lines.  All is forgiven because… There is no point here, just pure entertainment.  The too often ignored eclectic acoustic guitar talents Joe Bonamassa has simply cannot be ignored here.  You KNOW what you hear is not all that easy to play, and hey, it’s fun.  Alas, it sounds as impressive as it does good.  Every live version has as lightly different twist. Must be heard.  Must be seen

The next medley will nearly take your head off.  It starts with Django. Nobody I know knows how to accuarately describe this one.  All I can say is it’s hair-raising, especially when performed live.  His amazing phrasings draw you in as well as the best jazz musicians, solidifying opinions that Bonamassa’s innate ability to pull out symphonic, detailed, and lovely tones from a guitar ranks him amongst the upper echelons of elite guitarists. The next leg has Joe fessin’ up and paying money & homage to ZZ Top for Just Got Paid and other, prior inspired (check out the intro to Lie #1 on So, It ‘s Like That) usages. This long extension somewhat calms those who hanker, pander, and have starved for a reawakening of the now dormant and previously mind-blowing Pain & Sorrow (also from So, It’s Like That).  It’s a decent & fair substitute, and the rest of the band gets to contribute more here.  I’ll mention no more of the soloing or the bands contributions, however.  You’ll have to buy the album to “get it”.  Suffice to say, Joe & Co.’s salutes to other guitarists, songs, and groups are sweet and succulent.  Like an actual performance, this medley leaves your head spinning and wanting more…

Stand By, Spread the Word, Rock On & Keep the Faith-There'll Be An Encore,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

6 (edited by doctorxring 2008-09-13 22:52:53)

I'll say it short and sweet and in perspective.

I would pay two times what I paid for this compilation
just for the Django/Just Got Paid cut alone.

Can you say blues rock Opus !!

Thanks Joe.   I'll buy every live album you and your great group makes buddy.

This is a wonderful album !!!!!!!!!!!

dxr

I'm savoring this Rocket.  One yummy bite at a time.

THANK YOU.

smile  Libby

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

no kidding
i am on third listen of disk 1
after i will play disck 2

Great review - thanks.

<<Things open up with first a twitch from a theremin, then keys and the rhythm section.  Finally, a short ding on triangle>> This sounds like the lead in to ELP's Black Moon.

Abe

I finally got it after something went wrong with my order. As expected it sounds awesome.
I especially liked India/Mountain time and of course Sloe gin.

We have just one world, but we live in different ones.

Rocket,

What a great, wonderful, to the point review!!

And I agree with all you wrote!!

Thanks for the time and knowledge you put into it.

Andre wittebroek

12 (edited by Rocket 2008-09-19 15:17:37)

Thanks.  This post should actually be titled Introducing Joe Bonamssa and Live From Nowhere in Particular (Disc 1 & 2), so let's close it out.

...The whooping yelling, and whistling and chanting have all worked. There’s a rush of emotion flooding over the crowd when the band returns.  Perhaps it seems a bit subdued, but that’s just due to eager earnest anticipation...
Let's get to the encore(s)...

The mastery of dynamics by Bowles, Bonamassa, Rojas, & Melick are once again absolutely impeccable on yet another bedazzling and charging aural display as High Water Everywhere spills out over the audience.  Mississippi overflow is referred to here, not 2004's tsunami, 2005’s Hurricane Katrina, this year's midwest USA wetting, or most recent hurricane aftermath (or IS it?), but the flooding of 1927 with levees breaking all around.  One imagines Bogie Bowles has some large stage, marching, or orchestral band drumming background with his pounding toms cutting through all, yet not overpowering Joe playing an acoustic once more.  A big credit has to go to the sound reinforcement mixing crew.  Joe revisits just a few licks from Woke Up Dreaming once again,  but there’s more new territory explored and it's all showcasing taste over speed.  Actual emphasis here rests upon the terse vocal rendering Joe belts out as if switching between pitching a newspaper headline on a street corner somewhere high & dry and giving a first person scary account of the scene.

Next, a beautiful black Gibson B.B. King replica Lucille is strapped on for the somewhat sappy, but beautiful Joe Bonamassa and friend Mike Himmelstein’s Asking around For You.  You can’t help but think of someone when you’ve lost a family member or dear friend from life here and now.  Maybe you can’t help but shed a tear for a bit. But, to tap an angel on the shoulder in the afterlife, looking for a beloved one is certainly a joyous thought that brings a smile of hope and love to anyone’s face.  And it’s reflected in the often gratuitous soloing  rendered and ongoing at most shows.  Not here. But to those it is I say "So what"!  It's all in joyous family style fun!
It's wonderful song and should remain a show stopping (and restarting) mainstay in the future.   

The closeout coda A New Day Yesterday, which takes this magical mystical tour back to the future of where it all begins at his first, Tom Dowd produced and same named studio album.  It has, of course,  been previously included on the also same named live album and the Joe Bonamassa Live at Rockpalast DVD, all with the prior band lineups.  Here the treatment is essentially the same, a bit more concise.  The once obscure Jethro Tull song and Joe's vocal never sounded better.  Finally, the imminent coda al fine Starship Trooper/ The Wurm, sets up a rousing final round of cheers, except from those baby-talking spinning heads, complete with discombobulated jaws & crossed eyes and gasping for air first timers.  A period rests upon an epic concert collage from an epic tour.  I told you about Joe Bonamassa and wonderful.  I told you about Joe Bonamassa and GREAT.  Now, listen up because Joe Bonamassa is...........HEAR, HEAR!!!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket