Re: Best dumble pedal?

Unless I missed it, it's funny no one has mentioned the Hermida Zen Drive.  This to me is the ultimate Dumble in a box.  Andy Fuchs is making a line of pedals that nails it well, also.  Fuchs is know for his Dumble tones in his ODS amp line.  he started making PlushPedals late last year.  They sound great.  Better than any TS9/9 mod or the Jerkl/Hyde pedal out there.  Even the Howie Pedal and the Rumble fail in comparison.

20 (edited by Bender 2008-06-08 21:59:53)

DannyG wrote:

he started making PlushPedals late last year.  They sound great.  Better than any TS9/9 mod or the Jerkl/Hyde pedal out there.  Even the Howie Pedal and the Rumble fail in comparison.

Well, thats pretty subjective to say its better than any TS9 mod out there. I've heard a few, and personally believe the Analog Man Silver mod has a more open tone and is more versatile than the Plush Drive.

But I wouldn't say that the silver mod ts9 is 'better' than the Plush Drive...it comes down to what sounds good for the person involved.

The Plush Drive I used, albeit briefly, 20 mins or so, was too dark. The bottom end was too prominent and the top end really needed to be boosted. Sounded good, but those 'dark' pedals sound good at the FOH, but have trouble reaching the back wall. You could compensate via EQ of course, but I prefer a pedal to have an even response across the whole spectrum....which is partially why those TS9 mods were developed.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the silver mod ts9 has a bit more drive on tap if you need it.

x2 for the Hermida Zen Drive, can't go wrong with this one.

I just got a Pearl Drive that Im messing with right now.  It has the mid and articulation of the dumble style.  I havent been able to get it in the rig yet.  But a promising pedal....
Joe Bonamassa

Bender wrote:

...imagine a hot-rodded Fender Twin.....excellent note clarity but with a gorgeous smoky crunch.

now that is a great description!

and i couldn't agree more about tubes. the only way to go. hell, even my practice amp is a little Blackheart!

Bender...you're right.  It is a subjective thing and truthfully, I haven't played through or heard all the mods out there.  My bad.
I agree with you.  I thought the Fuchs pedals sounded a little dark.  I don't use pedals at all any more.  I have a Fuchs 50 watt ODS which is amazing just using the volume knob.  So...I stand corrected.

Hey Joe, sounds like we are on the same page.

PS - Does that mean we get to jam now?

Ben

Thanks Joe for the response!  Looks like Joe and Ben must have similar tastes in tone.  Oh by the way you cost me 3 grand (MADE me buy a damn Les Paul...:)) I may have to pick one of those pedals up.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

DannyG wrote:

Bender...you're right.  It is a subjective thing and truthfully, I haven't played through or heard all the mods out there.  My bad.
I agree with you.  I thought the Fuchs pedals sounded a little dark.  I don't use pedals at all any more.  I have a Fuchs 50 watt ODS which is amazing just using the volume knob.  So...I stand corrected.

LOL, it's all good.

It's a great pedal of course, but it's just not as transparent as others out there, it tends to colour the sound quite a bit. That might be great for some applciations, but probably not the ticket for getting that Dumble-esque sort of sound.

You're lucky to have that Fuchs....great piece of kit!

Bender
Thanks.  The Fuchs is a great amp.  For almost 20 years I was a die hard Boogie Fan.  First using a MK IIB, the a MKIIIC, a 50/50 and for the last 14 years a DC5.  All great amps until...funny how one piece of gear can radically change the way you approach the guitar.  I find my right hand now is more important than the left as far as aquiring a good tone.  With the Fuchs, If I play light with the volume all the way up on the guitar I get the Dumble thing, dig in and gets more stringy.

I friend of mine just got a Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee.  I never cared for Marshalls..it was never my thing.  I love the way Joe's sound or Eric Johnson's but for me...hope.  Until I played my friends amp.  Wow...I could get used to that.

DannyG wrote:

Bender
Thanks.  The Fuchs is a great amp.  For almost 20 years I was a die hard Boogie Fan.  First using a MK IIB, the a MKIIIC, a 50/50 and for the last 14 years a DC5.  All great amps until...funny how one piece of gear can radically change the way you approach the guitar.  I find my right hand now is more important than the left as far as aquiring a good tone.  With the Fuchs, If I play light with the volume all the way up on the guitar I get the Dumble thing, dig in and gets more stringy.

I friend of mine just got a Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee.  I never cared for Marshalls..it was never my thing.  I love the way Joe's sound or Eric Johnson's but for me...hope.  Until I played my friends amp.  Wow...I could get used to that.

I had a Boogie 50 Cal years ago and it was a great amp for warm smooth distortion, but didn't thrive on getting vintage crunch tones. Like many amps, it was good at getting 1 or 2 sounds very well. That being the case, it can definitely change your playing style.....I agree completely with you.

Marshalls are funny. Some great ones, some not so great. People often talk about a distinctive Marshall sound, but they've really changed the way the gain is voiced over the years. Over the years, there's been a Marshall made for just about every sound you could imagine.....the trick is finding the one that suits the players style.

The Vintage/Modern series is an interesting one. I've heard some really bi-polar reviews on it...some love it, some hate it. The brief time I spent with one was positive....I think there are some great tones in there, but the control layut is a bit different to most amps, and theres probably a bit of a learning curve associated with getting great tones from it.

The Silver Jubille series was just a fantastic range.....definitely overlooked and underated! Glad your friend was smart enough to recognise it, and its great to see Joe using it too.

Bit pricey though these days for a good one. Luckily, there are cheaper amps that can get close.....some of the Traynors are excellent Marshall-esque amps at very reasonable prices.

Beerdog80 wrote:
Vette335 wrote:

I mentioned the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal above,
here it is in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyWOPd-rXFE

that is awesome tone for whoever that is playing.   Great licks too.

thanks for the nice words.  That Visual Sound pedal combined with a tube screamer and delay makes for a great tone.

31 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-06-14 16:38:33)

+1 for the Zen Drive...I'd say for all Dumble related everything head over to the Robben Ford forum though.

Perfect example of your 'Dumble' sound in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQLFv_Pa3U

Haha mann, look at Robben move!

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

^^^    thanks man! great link. what a sound. i mean, it sounded pretty good on my crap computers speakers at work. and then i played it through my system at home ... that is one sweet sound.

on the 'Joe's Big Reverbicated/delayed tone' thread Joe says, 'Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp...' etc. but in the 'What's your amp history?' thread, he doesn't metion owning a Dumble.

Joe's tone does sound pretty similar to the one the clip above, though. does anyone know which amp Joe uses for his 'Fender / Dumble style amp' ? i mean, is there a specific one or does he use different amps for this role?

33 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-06-19 10:09:35)

Check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2yHFbT63ug

According to Joe his Robben Fordy amp is the Van Weelden

Edit: Category 5 + Fuzz Face is the SHIZNIT

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Phat
Joe does own a Dumble.  At least he had one last summer when I saw him.  The Dumble is also viewable on the many video clips floating around.  I know he's been touting the praises of the Van Weelden lately though.  He also uses the Two Rock and Fuchs for that vibe also.

If he's after the Dumble tone,,,and he has a Dumble...why look any further unless it's a consistancy thing as well as the fact you can get a new car cheaper than a Dumble.  I saw one sell on eBay for $95000.00 and it wasn't even a ODS.  Crazy.

Musicinmysoul wrote:

Check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2yHFbT63ug

According to Joe his Robben Fordy amp is the Van Weelden

Edit: Category 5 + Fuzz Face is the SHIZNIT

another great clip! thanks very much for that one.

yes, Category 5 + Fuzz Face is sweet as hell! also, that Silver Jubilee really is something special. an especially nice timbre to it. i've heard others give talk it down because it has diode clipping in it's circuit (not an all tube signal). but if that is the result, well BIG CHEERS for diode clipping!

DannyG, i too have seen the price tags on Dumble. really jaw dropping. if i had one, i wouldn't tour with it either.

and to the Dumble initiated, what exactly does the 'Ratio' control do?

My guitar teacher's played a Dumble ODS...he used to work at this small music shop when he was younger and somehow the shop acquired one so he got to play through it for a bit. Said it sounded phenomenal, but sooo not worth the price tag.

I heard somewhere that when Robben doesn't want to bring his Dumbles over seas he plays through some Fender Evil Twins...I was going after those for awhile, wasn't having much luck though.