Topic: Fender Tweed Twin question

Hi all

So something I've been wondering, how does the tone of the 57 Twin compare to that of the 58 Twin? I appreciate that the higher powered model will have more headroom, but in terms of the rest of the tone??

Later this year I'll be investing in an amp and the Ceriatone clone of the 5E8A Twin is very high on my list....and I love Joe's tone through his High Powered Twin...just wondering how close it would be?

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Re: Fender Tweed Twin question

Tone isn't in the amp. It's in your hands. You will have to try one and see how you like the tone yourself. Nobody will be able to answer that question as tone is subjective.

jbyrd1 wrote:

Tone isn't in the amp. It's in your hands. You will have to try one and see how you like the tone yourself. Nobody will be able to answer that question as tone is subjective.

It's not mutually exclusive.  Nobody would argue a Twin sounds different than a Plexi, and yet I also agree tone is in your hands (or maybe more accurately your inner ear).  There are a lot of factors that go into sound.

What's subjective is whether something is good in a given category.  Amps being particularly bright or bassy or whether they break up early aren't really subjective terms.

I don't know anything about the difference between 57 and 58 twins, so I can't comment not having tried either.

I love Joe's tone through his High Powered Twin...just wondering how close it would be?

Now that's a difficult question to answer - and I'd say it is pretty subjective because we don't know what "close" means to you.  It's a Twin, it's going to sound like a Twin, no?  Whether it's "close enough" to Joe's tone, well, there are an awful lot of factors besides the amp.

4 (edited by Spider 2016-05-11 14:45:06)

Tone is subjective. What you hear and what I hear will most always be different. And visa versa... No matter how hard you try, or how much money you spend you will never sound like someone else. Your always going to sound like yourself.

I can't answer your question totally, although I do own a 57 twin reissue. It is a great amp once I got mine broken in, or if you know a top notch amp tech. I prefer to use 57 twin with a LP. To my ears a Strat or a Tele is too shrill through that amp. I prefer to play my Strat through a Marshall Jubilee or a Plexi. Vintage amps, no matter the manufacturer will always sound different even if they're the exact same circuit. Time and use, or non use will shift components from their original spec. Hell, even mfg processes of those components could do that too. I don't know if the Ceriatone version will match up to a 57 reissue or the original, I haven't played through one. Ceriatone does have a good reputation for making good amps at affordable prices so I don't think you'll have a bad amp unless you send me the pieces to assemble. ;-)  What ever your choice, have fun. That's why we play. Good luck.

jbyrd1 wrote:

Tone is not exclusively in the amp. I have a Marshall and a Fender sitting side by side, and an A/B switch. Going back and forth between the two amps its glaringly obvious which amp is selected. Hands are only part of the tone.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Thanks guys. Maybe Joe will chime in as I would imagine he will know the answer!!

Sadly trying these amps just isn't an option as the chances of finding both of them in the same place and being able to try them out is pretty nigh on impossible. Hence why I'm doing a lot of research..!!

That said, I may end up changing my mind completely and going for a very different amp...but I like the less is more approach...

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Rusty wrote:
jbyrd1 wrote:

Tone is not exclusively in the amp. I have a Marshall and a Fender sitting side by side, and an A/B switch. Going back and forth between the two amps its glaringly obvious which amp is selected. Hands are only part of the tone.

I realize that two different amps will give you different tones. The OP asked...."Later this year I'll be investing in an amp and the Ceriatone clone of the 5E8A Twin is very high on my list....and I love Joe's tone through his High Powered Twin...just wondering how close it would be?"

My point is, the OP could plug into the very amp that Joe uses, and he's not going to sound like Joe, he will sound like himself. He is chasing "Joe's tone". Chasing someone else's tone is always an exercise in futility, and will waste your money and time.

Ceriatone makes a great amp.....so do a lot of other "cloner's". I have a custom made Friedman amp, and it is great! So, will it sound great....most likely, yes. Will it have "Joe's" sound, most likely not. THAT is in the hands.

Okay. Let's take Joe's tone out of this.

Would I be able to get a similar tone with my gear through the lower powered twin as I would through the high powered twin...just at a slightly lower volume?

Adrian J wrote:

Okay. Let's take Joe's tone out of this.

Would I be able to get a similar tone with my gear through the lower powered twin as I would through the high powered twin...just at a slightly lower volume?

The problem with the questions you are asking is that any answer you get is going to be subjective. Pull up some youtube videos and listen to them through some good quality speakers is your best bet. YOU have to decide.

The Ceriatone amps are great as a general rule. If they are claiming that is what that model will do, then it should work well as a more inexpensive alternative to buying a Vintage Fender like Joe uses.

Your other alternative is a higher powered amp with an attenuator. Chances are, the lower wattage one will work fine for what you are trying to accomplish.

A low power twin is about 75 percent as loud.  Great amp when tuned right. I use the 80 watt versions because I like the extra headroom.  There's not a huge difference between them.  The 56/57 is more compressed and the high power is more of a jet engine. Shake the ground those amps do...
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

A low power twin is about 75 percent as loud.  Great amp when tuned right. I use the 80 watt versions because I like the extra headroom.  There's not a huge difference between them.  The 56/57 is more compressed and the high power is more of a jet engine. Shake the ground those amps do...
Joe B

Thanks Joe.

Looking forward to feeling the ground shake in Bristol in July!!

Do you have any videos ? So we can take a closer look ?

The low power Tweed Twin and High Power Tweed Twin are two totally different amps. The input stages are different. The voltage amp stages are different. The tone stacks are different. The phase inverters are different. The power stages are different. The power supplies are different. Therefore the tone of the two amps is different.

http://ampwares.com/schematics/twin_5e8a.pdf

http://ampwares.com/schematics/twin_5f8a.pdf

Bill