Topic: Wah controversy!

I usually don't carry gossip over from the gear page, but WAH enthusiasts be warned:
The $150 BBE Ben-Wah is the exact same as the boutique $349 Vertex Axis Wah!

This page shows both pedals with identical electronics
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth … ?t=1461942

This page says "Mason Marangella and Vertex Effects may have rebranded a BBE Ben Wah and sold it as their own designed Vertex Axis Wah using deceptive descriptions of the product."
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vertex-Ef … ti-1166892

Has the whole world gone crazy?
lol

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Wah controversy!

Unfortunately it's not just the Vertex Wah pedal, most of the Vertex products have been found not to be what they claim. Buyer beware, you've been warned....This is a sad state of affairs.

Here is a lil summary of what has been found so far:
As of now:

Photographic proof shows the Vertex Axis Wah to be a rebadged BBE Ben Wah, with no changes other than cosmetic/goop, and to remove/falsify country of origin.

Photographic proof shows the Vertex volume pedals to be rebadged Boss volume pedals, with tuner out removed, one jumper added, cosmetic changes and goop, and with country of origin removed/falsified.

Photographic proof shows the Vertex cable, claimed to twisted pair and with custom low-capacitance connectors, is actually Belden non-twisted pair cable, using stock high-capacitance connectors, and with Vertex logos added on shrinkwrap.

Being as the above claims about place of origin, actual components used, and work done were factual misrepresentations in pursuit of sales, they actually rise to the level of fraud.

University credential verification services show that Mason does not have an electrical engineering degree from the university which defenders claim he does, and the university in question does not offer an electrical engineering degree at all.

... so I've never used either of these brands. Is it a "deal" for BEE products, or is it a "rip-off" for the Vertex products in terms of quality?

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

4 (edited by macg1 2014-08-20 11:43:51)

I think BBE makes good quality mass produced gear like BOSS and Ibanez do. For a BBE brand product you get what you pay for and like most big brands, it can sound/work great and will last a life time if well taken care of.

Of course some people like Keeley and Analogman and JHS improved those basic designs by upgrading components in their mods. Surely it makes a difference but to me the main difference in those mods were noticed when playing by myself and not in a band setting.

I digress, the Vertex stuff is way overpriced and a rip-off because they are not what Mason claims them to be, plain and simple.

The only pedalboard power supply I use is the BBE Supacharger. Two pedalboards now powered for 7 years and going strong!

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

5 (edited by DaGlenster 2014-08-20 12:08:53)

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

... so I've never used either of these brands. Is it a "deal" for BEE products, or is it a "rip-off" for the Vertex products in terms of quality?

Well it's both Vertex took a $100 - $140 Wah and Gooped it and charged $350 -$400; so don't buy the Vertex the BBE is a good Wah pedal. Or, you can also buy a Joe Bonamassa Wah for about $160 these are really good and my personal fave.

I have a nice Vox wah that's been modded, a Morley wah, and the Joe Bonamassa wah big_smile

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I have a nice Vox wah that's been modded, a Morley wah, and the Joe Bonamassa wah big_smile

I collect so I have way to many Wahs, like 15+. I have 3 JB Wahs, 1 signed. When Joes copper Fuzz came out I found a full copper crybaby to go with it, then he came out with his Wah, but I still have the full copper one. I don't use Wahs all that much but the JB's are a little darker than most Wahs and I like that, not as icepick quacky.

Plaese spread the word about the sad Vertex story. I'd hate to see more folks buy something that is not what they think it is. I have a few friends in the biz and they have worked hard and for many years to establish a good rep and a real business then to see someone come in and do unethical and possibly illegal business isn't good for us the consumer nor the "good businesses" we buy our beloved toys from.

Going to see Michael Landau at the Baked Potato this Saturday.

I had the copper Fuzz, couldn't justify keeping it. hmm
Love the wah though.

Tried them ALL and kept the Cantrell Crybaby.

I still love my Wilson Wah.

Its disgusting what has transpired with this "manufacturer" I believe he did a service job on one of Joe's boards and tried to claim he modded it or re-built it at Joe's request using his technical prowess in a video, don't think Joe was too happy about it either!

Kudo's to Scott Henderson, he actually braved it out over on TGP explaining exactly what went on with his signature volume pedal and made Mason change the wording and be exact about what the pedal consisted of.

Notwithstanding all of the above they are still on sale through dealers mind!

official confession here. nice to see he came clean
http://www.boutiquegeartalk.com/pedals- … #post47185

Nick,

Thanks for posting the conclusion here - I try not to drop by TGP very often.

Don't see that there could have been any other conclusion - just a question of how far into the hole Mason wanted to go before reality forced him to 'fess up!

kestrou