Topic: Is there something wrong with me?

I've had my Ibanez TS808 for about a year now and so far have hardly used it because my Super Signa Drive just seems to be so much nicer. I feel that the ts808 is a little too fuzzy sounding and too top end sounding and when i tried using it to play live a short time ago i kept getting unwanted squeals and feedback from my bluesbreaker reissue... At the moment i am seriously considering trading it for a Bogner Ecstasy Blue. Has anybody had any similar experience with the ts808 and how did you get round it? It is always said to be the holy grail of od but from what i have heard, i do not believe it!

Belief is a beautiful armour, but makes for the heaviest sword

Re: Is there something wrong with me?

It is always said to be the holy grail of od but from what i have heard, i do not believe it!

Everyone hears differently, and wants different things for tone.  Some people love the TS808, some people don't.  IMHO if you're not happy with it, I'd sell it and try something else.  That said, I used one for a long time and I don't remember having any issues w/ unwanted squeals or feedback.  Maybe something is wrong with yours?  Somewhere along the way mine got lost, stolen or broken... not sure what happened.  I ended up w/ a Fulldrive 2 and it's been the OD pedal for me for a decade+, never went back.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

It is always said to be the holy grail of od but from what i have heard, i do not believe it!

Everyone hears differently, and wants different things for tone.  Some people love the TS808, some people don't.  IMHO if you're not happy with it, I'd sell it and try something else.  That said, I used one for a long time and I don't remember having any issues w/ unwanted squeals or feedback.  Maybe something is wrong with yours?  Somewhere along the way mine got lost, stolen or broken... not sure what happened.  I ended up w/ a Fulldrive 2 and it's been the OD pedal for me for a decade+, never went back.

Thanks for the reply, i don't think it is something particularly wrong with mine because it does work as intended but when everything is cranked in a live situation i think that it just gets to much for the amp when the knobs are all on full. I think that my super signa drive is much like your fulldrive so i might look at that but the bogner is something i can see as number 1 for being a replacement

4 (edited by helrazr84 2013-06-15 15:41:39)

I'm predominantly a ts808 fan but I do have a Bogner Blue pedal and it is excellent. I have my 808 before it and the mid hump goes well with the bogner if I want to run both. By far my favorite pedal I ever played, but that's me. My only gripe was the clash of tube screamer green and the blue of the bogner pedal...so I took it apart and painted it a satin black. Relabeled the EQ knobs with a paint marker. Now it looks like a cool boutique pedal.

Edit:
The 808 does seem to introduce some noise but I keep the gain level on it before noon and the output level past noon but neither full out. I just use it to add some flavor to the sound. I either use the boost on the bogner for a solo sound or a compressor. I'm prob one of only a few on here who like compressors...

helrazr84 wrote:

I'm predominantly a ts808 fan but I do have a Bogner Blue pedal and it is excellent. I have my 808 before it and the mid hump goes well with the bogner if I want to run both. By far my favorite pedal I ever played, but that's me. My only gripe was the clash of tube screamer green and the blue of the bogner pedal...so I took it apart and painted it a satin black. Relabeled the EQ knobs with a paint marker. Now it looks like a cool boutique pedal.

Edit:
The 808 does seem to introduce some noise but I keep the gain level on it before noon and the output level past noon but neither full out. I just use it to add some flavor to the sound. I either use the boost on the bogner for a solo sound or a compressor. I'm prob one of only a few on here who like compressors...

Thanks, i think i might play around with it more to try and get what i want but i've always felt that if the knobs are below 12 then i don't really get the kick i need especially since both my od's are kind of low gain. How would you rate your Bogner, worth the money or is there a better alternative (besides the ts) which you would prefer? I'm a compressor fan too, Bought my Keeley when i was 13 and it has been the only permanent fixture on my pedalboard apart from the dog fur that sticks to the velcro!

I use my TS as a boost too...always around 12 o'clock for gain and level a little higher. It's works perfectly in that scenario. I'm keen to hear about the Bogner Blue as well.

The Bogner Blue is simply a great pedal. It sounds the best with my HotRod Deluxe and great with my Marshalls too. It has a nice thick, not super distorted tone and really dynamic. (probably why others rave about it being "amp like") You can pick softly and notes are cleaner, a little harder and they thicken up. I keep the mini toggles Variac off, Blue mode and the other 2 dead center. All in all, it just looks and feels like a quality piece of equipment. Even the box is pretty nice..

I'm certainly NOT a $300 pedal guy, but I'd say its worth the price especially considering the alternatives out there for same price or more. I got it for around 200 with a coupon and some staunch arguing tactics. Very happy with it. Plenty of 199 dollar crap ODs you can buy, so I'd say its worth paying for. Mr. Bogner seems to know his stuff. I don't get caught up in nor regularly believe the hype of most pedal reviews, but this seriously does not sound like a pedal. Its like a bogner amp for 300 bucks.

helrazr84 wrote:

The Bogner Blue is simply a great pedal. It sounds the best with my HotRod Deluxe and great with my Marshalls too. It has a nice thick, not super distorted tone and really dynamic. (probably why others rave about it being "amp like") You can pick softly and notes are cleaner, a little harder and they thicken up. I keep the mini toggles Variac off, Blue mode and the other 2 dead center. All in all, it just looks and feels like a quality piece of equipment. Even the box is pretty nice..

I'm certainly NOT a $300 pedal guy, but I'd say its worth the price especially considering the alternatives out there for same price or more. I got it for around 200 with a coupon and some staunch arguing tactics. Very happy with it. Plenty of 199 dollar crap ODs you can buy, so I'd say its worth paying for. Mr. Bogner seems to know his stuff. I don't get caught up in nor regularly believe the hype of most pedal reviews, but this seriously does not sound like a pedal. Its like a bogner amp for 300 bucks.

The Bogner Blue seems like a fairly low gain pedal, from the reviews I have seen.  But isn't the blue channel supposed to be this amazing thing Bogner came up with and the most celebrated channel in that amp?  I have been considering picking one of these up, either the blue or the red, but i would rather have more gain available and back it down, than not enough on top.  I mean, enough gain to pull off some Ace Frehley or early Van halen, for example.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

9 (edited by helrazr84 2013-06-17 14:42:25)

^^
Yes, I'd say the Bogner blue is somewhat lower gain. The "plexi" mode is a VERY slight breakup and the "blue" mode is a bit more. I'd say more than what a ts808 will give you but certainly not a higher gain pedal. I think the amount of gain is just right for my taste, especially if your amp has a puss hair of gain and or you stick a moderately gained up tube screamer before it. The Variac setting drops the volume but give a squishier distortion tone, it's good but I prefer the Blue mode setting with variac Off.

I have absolutely no advice to give on the red pedal but from the official Bogner videos it has more gain. I got mine at guitar center, they seem to stock both red and blue; at least the 2 near me do/did. Actually even the uberschall doesn't sound bad from the Bogner channel YouTube demo. You'd automatically assume its a face melter but it can do a less gain tone.

Other thing is the boost feature. It ACTUALLY WORKS! Most pedals with a "boost" don't seem to do much. These have 2 small trip pots thru the top of the casing that allow you to set the boost volume and added gain. Pretty cool.

Really sorry I/we may have hijacked your original thread!

EDIT: just wanted to add that while the blue pedal can and is lower gain, due to the dynamic ability it posseses, should you pick more aggressively; you'll have more hair on your tone. So that is something to keep in mind and consider. I think with the red, along with more gain also comes a more modern sound. At least from what I can discern. It wouldn't make sense for them to put out 2 pedals with the same overall tone, just added gain on one.

helrazr84 wrote:

^^
Yes, I'd say the Bogner blue is somewhat lower gain. The "plexi" mode is a VERY slight breakup and the "blue" mode is a bit more. I'd say more than what a ts808 will give you but certainly not a higher gain pedal. I think the amount of gain is just right for my taste, especially if your amp has a puss hair of gain and or you stick a moderately gained up tube screamer before it. The Variac setting drops the volume but give a squishier distortion tone, it's good but I prefer the Blue mode setting with variac Off.

I have absolutely no advice to give on the red pedal but from the official Bogner videos it has more gain. I got mine at guitar center, they seem to stock both red and blue; at least the 2 near me do/did. Actually even the uberschall doesn't sound bad from the Bogner channel YouTube demo. You'd automatically assume its a face melter but it can do a less gain tone.

Other thing is the boost feature. It ACTUALLY WORKS! Most pedals with a "boost" don't seem to do much. These have 2 small trip pots thru the top of the casing that allow you to set the boost volume and added gain. Pretty cool.

EDIT: just wanted to add that while the blue pedal can and is lower gain, due to the dynamic ability it posseses, should you pick more aggressively; you'll have more hair on your tone. So that is something to keep in mind and consider. I think with the red, along with more gain also comes a more modern sound. At least from what I can discern. It wouldn't make sense for them to put out 2 pedals with the same overall tone, just added gain on one.

yeah I will have to do my usual gear sale, before i take one of these for a spin (part of my aforementioned fiscally-responsible GAS). 

To put the thread back in gear:  no there is nothing wrong with you.  Just because some of the classic gear does not work for you, does not mean there is something wrong.  Just find what works and go with it.  Most players would love to own Les Pauls.  I have had several, including proper vintage ones and they all left in favor of Firebirds.  Same thing with amps, owned 60's Fenders, 70's Marshalls, 80's Marshalls and those are all gone now in favor of my own amp design, a musicman combo, and a 70's silverface Vibrolux that will never be blackfaced.  At the end, it is about getting the right gear that inspires you, and not what the convention is.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

I dont think a lot of people tend to use the TS with all the gain cranked, mostly they use it as a boost in front of a somewhat dirty amp leaving most of the gain off, everything cranked, yeah, I can see how that can get out of hand pretty fast! Like the guys say though, there isn't something wrong if its not to your taste, just the way it goes.
But hey, give me a shout should you decide to offload, I'm only in Merseyside! ;-)

helrazr84 wrote:

^^

I've been thinking about it and what you say about the boost feature...My signa drive has one of those but what i'm finding is that because it is such a low gain pedal i'm using the boost all the time to get the meatier sound that i want and also before was using the ts808 to boost that further when required so when i was playing stuff such as Parisienne walkways: the amp had effectively 3 od's before it and that's what the issue was. Would it be a good idea to therefore sell both and just have an ecstasy on the board as the only od?
Haha, it's fine, any talk regarding Bogner pedals are perfectly fine on this thread because it's helping me out a lot!

macg1 wrote:

yeah I will have to do my usual gear sale, before i take one of these for a spin (part of my aforementioned fiscally-responsible GAS). 

To put the thread back in gear:  no there is nothing wrong with you.  Just because some of the classic gear does not work for you, does not mean there is something wrong.  Just find what works and go with it.  Most players would love to own Les Pauls.  I have had several, including proper vintage ones and they all left in favor of Firebirds.  Same thing with amps, owned 60's Fenders, 70's Marshalls, 80's Marshalls and those are all gone now in favor of my own amp design, a musicman combo, and a 70's silverface Vibrolux that will never be blackfaced.  At the end, it is about getting the right gear that inspires you, and not what the convention is.

I understand what you mean, my problem has always been going through phases of buying stuff to sound like other people but now i'm realising that i want my own sound and have certain gear preferences...I think everything is starting to come together well now though.
Thanks for the help and make sure to check back and let us know if you get a blue or red one and how you are finding it!

sted wrote:

I dont think a lot of people tend to use the TS with all the gain cranked, mostly they use it as a boost in front of a somewhat dirty amp leaving most of the gain off, everything cranked, yeah, I can see how that can get out of hand pretty fast! Like the guys say though, there isn't something wrong if its not to your taste, just the way it goes.
But hey, give me a shout should you decide to offload, I'm only in Merseyside! ;-)

Thanks for your contribution to the thread. It's looking likely that the TS will be leaving sometime in the future if i fail to make friends with it over some summer gigs...I'll give you first refusal when the time comes, not sure when that will be though!

ts-808=pure greatness.

I had a TS-9 and never favored it to the gain built in my Rivera. Sold it.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I've had clones of a TS-808 and the only time I like them is when I'm playing dark sounding guitars with a dark sounding amp.  For example I wouldn't like an 808 with a telecaster but would be fine with a neck pickup of a stratocaster.  If I was using a gibson I'd be fine with it on either pickup.  But I never used them as a boost.  I'm sure I would like it better if I did.  I prefer straight amp but my band won't let me get away with only one sound.  I use way too many pedals for my own good!

You might want to try the Barber Compact Direct Drive…great overdrive with a wide range of usefulness.