Topic: Deeflex amp baffle?

I just came across a discussion thread on the Axe-FX forums where some European users were talking about this baffle called a Deeflex...

http://hoovi.at/deeflexx-2/?lang=en

Seems to be a similar principle to the perspex baffles Joe uses, but smaller form factor and positioned differently.  Seems to be getting good reviews on things like iGuitar etc.

Anyone else heard of, or used this piece of kit?  Does it work?

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Re: Deeflex amp baffle?

At € 259,- for the basic model, it better work!

I've used the SpeakerTweaker, BeamBlocker or a selfmade baffle for years and the idea does work.

www.raysguitarstraps.com
'12 Teye La India Mora 2P, '10 Teye La India S 2P, '64 Fiesta Red Strat, '14 Les Paul CC#18, '14 Les Paul R0ltd, '13 Les Paul R7, '12 Les Paul CC#3, '07 Les Paul CR8 x2, '04 Les Paul R9, '65 Super Reverb, '93 Koch KC50dlx, JB Fuzzface #775

do the beamblockers kill the highs though?

Self-Professed "GOLDIE" Nut-Job!!!!

JBLP #267

So you need two for a 2x12 cab...and they won't really work with a 4x12?

I think my home-made plexi one I have - cost me less than £100 - will do the trick fine.

The concept of the Deeflex seems to be different than Joe's baffle. It appears to disperse the sound evenly from the stage where Joe's baffle is meant to control his stage volume. The amp baffle Joe uses blocks the blast of his guitar volume from overwhelming the mix. He then could adjust them slightly to hear himself over the top or to the side. He then had his guitar run through monitors as the stages became bigger and he wanted to hear himself and be in position for feedback as needed. That then canceled out the original reason to use the baffles which was to control stage volume. Now with in-ear monitors the baffles are back to doing the job they were originally designed to do.

I liked what I did at the last gig I played.  They told me to turn down and I just turned the amp facing the wall.  It worked and I got to stay turned up.

7 (edited by DougH 2012-11-23 08:32:12)

AD3THREE wrote:

I liked what I did at the last gig I played.  They told me to turn down and I just turned the amp facing the wall.  It worked and I got to stay turned up.

But then you wouldn't have a cool plexi with your logo on it for everyone to see; they see only the back of the speaker cab sad

actually is your cab open or closed?
I would think that you would get a boomy sound if the back of the cab is closed and it was facing the audience, plus maybe some sound cancellation as the main frequencies bounced around off the wall.

I am probably wrong on that but its just a thought.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Reversing the cab does work really well in smaller venues (100 folks or so) particularly if there is a low ceiling. We have used this and picked the tip up from Phillip Sayce. Plexi works best but sometimes it can be tight to get them in. The deeflex in my opinion is over engineered, you can mod a cab to get the same effect for pennies. Really depends on the player, if you are relatively low volume then diffusers work great. If you need to 'feel' your sound and thus crank it, then a shield is a must.

9 (edited by Richard Lainegard 2012-11-23 09:50:59)

Might chip in on this one...
I've been using these since I first tried at NAMM, worked wonders in our booth.
You could hear the same guitar tone where ever you were in relation to the booth
(was demoing for some pedal endorsers), and just for the fun of it, I asked one of the sound police guys
to walk by while I was playing, and measure the Db. Was kinda cool that the Db was pretty much exactly level
all the way in the vicinity of the booth.

Since then I've used them (have 2 for my 2x12's) on every single gig I've done from Sweden
to China and Japan. I've completely stopped using monitors on stage for anything but vocals,
the dispersion is that great. Not cheap definitely, but worth every penny to me (bought mine from Thomann).
SIngle best investment I've done to my live rig in like forever smile

Like Jim says, Joe's setup with Plexi "cages" for the cabs is not meant to disperse the tone,
bur rather to block the beam from the audience (those 4x12's tend to be very directional).
ANd as we all know he runs his heads through palmer's and then feed that to the monitors on stage.
I've used that setup exactly before, and it worked well, but I felt it did limit a lot of the tone,
since you need soem really good monitors to give you a even half-decent guitar tone (imo).
I think Joe would be floored by the stage tones he'd get with these, but then there is the problem of
using 4x12s, since you can't "deeflexx" the top two cones. When I use a 4x12 I tend to either put a towel
down over the top two (looks crappy but hey), or if I have a stereo cab, turn it on it's side and just use one side
as a over-sized 2x12, also works beautifully (if your amp isn't to much for the cab to handle then of course.

EDIT:come to think of it, I actually have a live video from one of my clinics in Beijing this October
where some local guitarists came up to jam with me. The guy that sent me this vid was standing pretty much
in front of the second amp that didn't have anything in front. The amps are tonally set pretty much the same,
EQ-wise, and we're using the same OD-pedals (my PRS also have two single coils in neck, mounted
in the humbucker position). What I'm getting at is that most of the tonal differences you hear is from the
Deeflexx and the player, so even though the video is pretty crappy, it's still a fair approx. of the directional effect differences.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNjgZ19uaLc

EDIT 2: @ mbcl I hear you about reversing the cab, that works surprisingly well with open back cabs in my experience.
Only thing is that you loose a lot high end, but it does save the heads of the audience smile
one way I haven't really gone the distance with trying is in-ear systems and the amp off stage,
but from what I've tried I really don't dig the tone I hear through the in-ear (might be the quality of the in-ear though).

- Richard Lainegard -
www.richardlainegard.com

Open back blues jr fender amp.  We mic so I honestly can't say... all I can tell you is I was able to find my amps sweet spot and nobody told me to turn down.   As for the amp logo, its a blues jr.  Nothing really to show off there.  That being said I haven't done it but once... and the place we played might have been 2000 sq foot.  I'd say packed could hold 250 people we played for less then 100 and the ceiling was low maybe 10 foot high in places.  Stage felt like the ceiling was more like 7 or 8 foot.

DougH wrote:
AD3THREE wrote:

But then you wouldn't have a cool plexi with your logo on it for everyone to see; they see only the back of the speaker cab sad

actually is your cab open or closed?
I would think that you would get a boomy sound if the back of the cab is closed and it was facing the audience, plus maybe some sound cancellation as the main frequencies bounced around off the wall.

I am probably wrong on that but its just a thought.

Really neat sound and playing thanks for that. cool

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

For my last gig with a Fender DeVille, I turned the amp around facing the wall. Worked fine. People were really eyeballing it like I was doing something "special" or with a secretive amp roll

This looks like the same as a Weber Beam Blocker, only there's less to carry. I have one of these in my Blues JR amp, and like it a lot.
http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have just bought a used slanted 1960A 4x12" cab and after getting it home I checked the inside to find the speakers had been angled upwards and outwards - the mod seems to have been professionally done - I don't think it's a standard feature.  I guess this is to assist with the 'beam of death' too?

Gibson LP '89 Custom * Gibson LP '04 Classic * Gibson JB LP Studio * Fender 50th Ann. Deluxe Strat * Gibson Explorer Pro * Epiphone Korina SG * Michael Kelly Patriot Premium * Ibanez 105NT Artcore Custom * Takamine acoustics * Fender Blues Deville 4x10" * Marshall DSL100 and DSL50 * Marshall 1960A * Laney LH55 * Bugera V55HD * Bugera 212VT * Marshall 1912 * Roland Cube 60