Topic: Bona-byrd yer or no?

I was just flicking through the sleeve notes for dust bowl and noticed joe says he used a bona-byrd prototype. Most on here have probably seen it, les paul with wrap around bridge, single humbucker and a reverse firebird headstock. Are gibson thinking of putting this into production?

Re: Bona-byrd yer or no?

If they don't they should!

I think it looks cool and sounds great.

They should....though at the price they will charge, I won't get one anyway.....

Let's not discuss Gibson making new crazy build guitars...because no one normal can buy them.

I'm posting this too quickly, but he might have talked about the bona-bird in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxT8L4N4ss

The body (with exception to the Firebird neck) is identical to these:
http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gi … 701293.php

Wildwood has a bunch... a gold top, a black one, etc.... none with a firebird neck though.

Joe mentioned he has the only one.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I would get me one if I could convince the wife, would need to have 2 pickups though to justify the price.

8 (edited by dknight16 2011-03-23 09:09:00)

I know my original response when this model first surfaced was quite unflattering and I think I even used the word blasphemy. I'm not a Les Paul snob by any means, but some things I feel just aren't right.  But seeing it live on Monday has softened my opinion a lot.  It actually looked interesting.  The proportions that seemed all wrong in the video & photos looked fine in person. The edge burst finish was more noticeable and I kind of liked that little detail on this model as well.  Les can stop rolling over in his grave. I should have trusted Joe's judgement a lot more than I did. I beginning to think there might be a place in the world for this model.  But it is sure to be an extremely polarizing guitar.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

It brings a "CUSTOM" feel to the instrument. wrap around bridge and single pickup add to the custom feel... it's not JUST a Les Paul with a Firebird headstock... it's been designed.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

...just love that black thing linked to by NPB'!... and the traditional headstock looks so much better imo!... wonder what a single pick up double cutaway Bonaburst would look like?

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller