Topic: Joe's LP Pickups

Anyone know if Joe uses stock pickups in his LPs?   I Recently bought a new LP Custom and the pickups have too much output causing them to sound muddy in certain situations (especially the rhythm pickup).  I'm looking to swap them out.   Would appreciate if anyone knows what Joe is using or if you have suggestions.

2 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-02-11 16:12:24)

Re: Joe's LP Pickups

you can mess with pickup height a little, or put smaller pots in you LP to make the mud go away. if you ever want it to sound like the neck pickup on a strat good luck, but if it still sound muddier than other Les Pauls perhaps something can be done. Even coil tapping humbuckers in a LP have a warmer sound than a strat.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

What amp are you using and how are you setting it up Marc?

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

The main 59 has original Patent Applied For pickups from a 1963 ES -335..  I got the pickups first and then the guitar eventually.. ( long story) Those are the best for obvious reasons..  The Tom Murphy 58 has Seymor Duncans  and the other 59 has a Burst Bucker 1 in the front and a Burst Bucker 2 in the lead..  the Gold Top has the same.. The Triple Pickup custom sounds really bright and has been taken out of rotation for now until I can get the lead pickup right.. 
   My recomendation is determine if the guitar is worthy of swapping pickup after pickup and then try the burst buckers first..  Lollars are also supposed to be on the low output..  Just remember the pickups cant save the guitar. It will drive you crazy and drain your bank account.  Next question how to determine if the guitar is worthy of doing this?
Is it light? Is it acoustically loud when played?  Do you feel the body resonate when strummed acoustically or does it feel like strings bolted onto a 2X4?  Those are the things to look for..  One good thing you have going is that you want it brighter rather than darker..  Thats a whole lot easier than the flip side of that equation. LP customs are tricky sometimes..  Good Luck hope some of this helps...
Joe Bonamassa

All,

Thanks for the great feedback and help.   Joe many thanks for the tips.   

I am using a Marshall DSL 50  and when using he neck PU clean, the guitar sounds very muddy.  I think I'll play with the PU height and try and determine if swapping the PUs out is warranted.   It was one of those situations where I swear it sounded differently in the store.

Again Thanks!

6 (edited by ModTourMan 2007-02-08 21:04:28)

Joe, just a quick comment on your Custom.  I heard you play that guitar live in NJ your last time through and didn't think it sounded overly bright at all.  In, fact I left that night with a real appreciation for how your Custom sounded.
To me, a good all mahogany Custom should have that mid-rangy/snappy/woody (I'm doing a horrible job describing it, I know) tone that is distinctly different that the mahogany/maple topped Standards.  While the Les Paul standard will always be my favorite toned guitar (I own a 2001 R8 myself), I really liked the different flavor that guitar put out that night.  That being said, I'm sure you will nail the tone you're looking for eventually.  All your effort in bringing a good live tone is appreciated.   It's always a pleasure listening to you and your guitar tone in a live setting.

Russ B.

ModTourMan wrote:

Joe, just a quick comment on your Custom.  I heard you play that guitar live in NJ your last time through and didn't think it sounded overly bright at all.  In, fact I left that night with a real appreciation for how your Custom sounded..

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. Joe, I heard you do "So Many Roads" at The Coach House and San Jaun Capistrano
with the Custom, I thought it had great tone, and great choice for that song. It did have less bass, maybe it sounds diff
on stage compared to being in the  back of the place. But great mid/high cut

and mind if I ask which Duncans you are using
I just bought a Les Paul Cloud 9, and it came with BB1 and BB2
BB2 in the bridge is fine, but the neck seems a little bright

thinkin on the Antiquities

anyone using these in the neck of their LP ?

I use a DSL50 and my Les Paul has Burst Buckers which sound fine. Mind you, the guitar weighs in at only 3k (extremely light for a Les Paul) and is very resonant. It's always difficult to tell when you're in-store. Good idea to try altering the pick-up height first....could save you some cash.

marcgomez71 wrote:

All,

Thanks for the great feedback and help.   Joe many thanks for the tips.   

I am using a Marshall DSL 50  and when using he neck PU clean, the guitar sounds very muddy.  I think I'll play with the PU height and try and determine if swapping the PUs out is warranted.   It was one of those situations where I swear it sounded differently in the store.

Again Thanks!

Hey guys.  I are all your Les Pauls new?  or reissued new?  and if so do you like them?  i have to say that almost everything that gibson is putting out new these days is crap.  I have a studio from 2001, stock everything, and i think it sounds amazing.  Its definitley much darker due to the pickups, but its really got its own sound, and its a good counter to my strat. 
Peace,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

Conner

My LP custom is 3 months old.  I actually have another issue with it (their appears to be something causing it to produce a scratch/pop sound like if there were a lot of static- this actually got worse during a live show.  I love the bridge pickup & tone but overall I am not impressed with this product at all.  For it to be a custom shop piece it is very dissapointing.   I called the store where I bought it -they're going to take a look at it.  Never had this type of issue with Fender or PRS - I guess it's the luck of the draw - but I have not been reading or hearing great things about Gibson lately.  You may be correct regarding newer made guitars from them.

Marc

cj19m wrote:

Hey guys.  I are all your Les Pauls new?  or reissued new?  and if so do you like them?  i have to say that almost everything that gibson is putting out new these days is crap.  I have a studio from 2001, stock everything, and i think it sounds amazing.  Its definitley much darker due to the pickups, but its really got its own sound, and its a good counter to my strat. 
Peace,
Conner

Mine is a Custom Shop Historic Reissue (2001 '58 reissue) .  I HIGHLY recommend one to anybody that's been disappointed by modern Gibson's quality/tone.  The Gibson Historics are light years better than most Gibson USA's in my opinion.   GREAT guitars!

Russ B.

12 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-02-10 14:37:05)

" i have to say that almost everything that gibson is putting out new these days is crap."   ????

I think that each instrument has a soul.  Whether you are soulmates for eachother is entirely between you and the instrument.
There are Fender people and Gibson people out there as we all know.

Being a Gibson person, I would be the first to admit I can walk into a guitar store and find a stronger connection bewteen me and a certain tele or strat over any of the Gibsons in the store. Sometimes its the opposite.

Its basically up to you to find a guitar you want, and stay away from saying all the new ones aren't any good. You just haven't found one you like yet. Although I come from a school where I prefer to get one from the 70's that's all worn in and possibly cheaper; lots of new play amazing.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

What Im saying is that almost every new gibson guitar ive played is not up to par with older models,  and im saying VERY recent,  like the  past 2 or 3 years.  just an oppinion thats all.

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

14 (edited by gsj 2007-02-10 18:10:58)

I hear what you're saying and working in a guitar store gives me the chance to get a feel for what's good and what isn't. My Les Paul is a 2006 model and I'm really happy with it. It's got a real comfortable 'worn in' vibe to it....feels like i've had it for years.....hope that I will too smile True to say that the right guitar for you isn't always the right guitar for the next person.....we all have our holy grail when it comes to 'spanking the plank'!

cj19m wrote:

What Im saying is that almost every new gibson guitar ive played is not up to par with older models,  and im saying VERY recent,  like the  past 2 or 3 years.  just an oppinion thats all.

i prefer ones from the 70's myself.
There are a couple nwe ones here and there I'd get if I had the $ching$...

hey guys,
            Anyone know The Specs on Joes Red LP that he uses for Steppin' out/Rice pudding  in andy live?  That guitar blows me away, i wonder if the pickups are stock?  i know its a vintage 60's original, a 69 maybe?  i forget.  peace all
Conner

I beleive the Red Les Paul is a Classic with a 496R and 500T for pick-ups.

Gibson's hot ceramic pick-ups.

i wonder if burstbuckers would sound good in a triple pickup SG?